Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
what would cause one day menstrual cycle

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

My cycle was 3 days late, then I had it for one day. The next day I had a lot of clear discharge with some blood streaks in it and that was it. I still have the clear discharge but no sign of any blood? What could cause this?
Thank you
Hi!
The most obvious possibility is pregnancy.  I ALWAYS recommend a pregnancy test first before anything else.  If the pregnancy test is negative, and you were my patient, we would discuss two options--wait and see what happens next month, or try 5 days of progesterone to see if we could induce your period.  If the irregular bleeding happens frequently, then I would look into some hormone levels and an ultrasound.
Good luck!
Dr B