Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
yeast infection right before my period

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

yeast infection right before my period

I have been getting a yeast infection every month right before my period comes. This month i went to the doctor because i noticed i was having discharge and it had a bad odor. The doctor said i had BV and gave me Metronidazole, i should take it for seven days twice a day. While i was taking the pill, a yeast infection came. Then i got my period and it started to clear up. That happens every month, i get the infection, my period clears it up. The next month it happens again. I dont understand whats going on
Hi!
It is fairly common to have symptoms of yeast just before the period.  It may be that you are getting a new infection each month, or it may be that the same infection just hasn't quite cleared up.  For my patients with similar symptoms, I sometimes prescribe diflucan one tablet per month for that week before the period.  Sometimes after several months of taking it, it clears completely.  Also, if you are taking oral contraceptives, that can cause similar symptoms.  Sometimes it is necessary to switch birth control methods, depending upon how much the symptoms bother you.
One final note, something that is cheap easy and effective to relieve the irritating symptoms is Crisco.  Just apply to any irritated areas as needed.  It really works!
Good luck!
Dr B
Too much sugar !!
I use to have the same problem and my wise doctor said (after asking my eating habits)
that it is kinda like a diabetic...you know when you crave the bag of m&m's or anything sweet or chocolate....it apparently upsets the delicate balance and you end up with a yeast infection. You might try curbing the sweets and eating yogurt...it worked perfectly for me....Good luck!
Yup, I've been dealing with yeast infections about every 4 months for 5 years *sigh* and it's in most cases right before my period.  I've also learned that what TMU said, that too much sugar intake feeds yeast and causes you to have more of them so it's best to limit your intake.  Unfortunately I've tried every method in the book to get rid of them including taking numerous diflucan pills like Dr. B recommended....all the doctors I've seen says I'm just prone to them but I think that's a load of **** since I didn't get start getting them until after I started taking birth control.  Anyways, since yours sound hormonal, it might be good to eat yogurt, do a monthly yeast cleanse (although be careful what you choose, some can be disastrous) and stop eating a ton of sugar.  

Also, I used to get BV all the time too but stopped using soap to wash down there because I was really sensitive to any kind of soap.  The vagina is self cleaning so all you really need to do is use hot water and friction with your fingers or a washcloth...haven't gotten one since.  Good luck!
I GET THE SAME THING EVERY MONTH, THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR THE LAST FOUR MONTHS, PROBLEM IS I DON'T TAKE BIRTH CONTROL OR ANYTHING. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY.