HIV - International Expert Forum
8 weeks hiv elisa

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

8 weeks hiv elisa

hi, im a 23 year old male, had sex with a sex worker and my condom broke, that was almost 3 months ago, i had an elisa test taken at 6 weeks negative, thenat 8 weeks negative, since i live in mexico, i dont know how good the test is.
Plus i´ve been feeling tired, with no apetite, and i have a very dry mouth persistant for 3 weeks almost, i have been very anxious or depressed i dont know, and i think they are symptoms of stress but i also fear that they come from hiv,  so my question is:

are the symptoms related to anxiety or depression?

is the elisa test at 8 weeks reliable?

Thank for your post and welcome to our forum.
A negative Elisa test at 8 weeks can be considered conclusive in practical terms as the vast majority of people would have seroconverted by then.  However current guidelines would only consider it conclusive after 12 weeks.  The fact that your sexual encounter was relatively low risk: unknown status of the lady, condom failure, vaginal intercourse; and you had a negative test at 8 weeks; this is very reassuring and it could be considered conclusive.  I do not think that you need to worry about it.  make sure that you get tested for all other STDs as well.
Your symptoms are most likely to be related to stress and anxiety.
Best wishes,
Dr José
elisa test at 8 weaks is very encouraging but not conclusive,i will advice you to stay calm,because seroconversion is a symptomatic,and vast majority of people seroconvert at 2to6 weaks,you will get your conclusive result at 12 weaks,next time use enought lubrication during sex
Thank you doctor your answer reassures me.
I have only one more question, I have a very dry mouth and it is driving me crazy, i have had it for almost 3 weeks now, and i was very scared that it was because i had hiv.

Is it related?
No, it is not related to HIV.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Sorry Dr. To botter you again, it is just that today i was diagnosed with xerostomia caused by enlarged salivary gland, and i have read that enlarged salivary gland is related to hiv, plus i been having dermatitis, i have always had dermatitis but not this much and i have also read that it is hiv related so,
my question is
should i worry?