HIV - International Expert Forum
About the Rapid HIV test strips for self testing

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

hey,dear doctors,since I am in China,and in China we can buy HIV test strips from internet legally,and by self using.and here is my concern:so I bought one strip of Abbott Determine HIV from internet,and I got the package today,it comes with one Determine HIV strip,and a blood collection needle,one tampon.But the blood collection needle is seperated packed in a small plastic bag,but the custormer service explained that it sure is disposable.and I didnt think that much,and then I just followed the instructions getting ready to take the test by myself.And now I'm really worried about what if the blood collection needle wasn't disposable like they said?But I have used the 75% Alcohol to disinfect needle top before I started,and my question is what is the probability that I would probably get infected by the needle if it already had HIV virus on it.One more mention,it took about 3 days to deliver the package to my house,is that possible even if the needle had HIV virus and 3 days were enough to let it become eliminated?Thank you sooooo much for helping me!
Tags: HIV
No need to be so paranoid.  I would honestly doubt that you would receive a needle that was not sterile, single use and disposable.  In any case, even in the unlikely event of the needle having had infected blood on it, it would be impossible for you to become infected with HIV as the virus becomes inactive within minutes of being outside of the body.
No need to worry at all whatosever.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Thank you soooooooooo much doctor,I'm so relived right now!!And have a wonderful day!!!!
Sincerely!!!
Dear Doctor,I have one more question,what do you think about the "window period". 6 weeks or 3 months.Are the results reliable and accurate by using HIV test strips by myself? Since I dont want to go to a hospital to do the test bc I am scared that people will judge me by doing a HIV test.What is your suggestion?thank you!
sorry,doctor,i have so many questions want to ask you,is the Abbott’s ARCHITECT® HIV Ag/Ab Combo test strip results as same reliable as the "DUO" test??? And what is the "window period"for this after the exposure if I want to use Abbott’s ARCHITECT® HIV Ag/Ab Combo test strip to take a test,and is that the same 4 weeks as the "DUO" test?how accurate if i take the test using Abbott’s ARCHITECT® HIV Ag/Ab Combo test strip after 4 weeks exposure!thank you!