HIV - International Expert Forum
Ars symptoms

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Ars symptoms

Hi Dr. I am a male from Colombia. I am really worried since i recieved unprotected oral sex from a sex worker in my country, and had protected (with condom) vaginal sex afterwards. A few days after this i was diagnosed with viral meningitis, I was hospitalized since i was presentig confusion a extreme headaches. At my stay at the hospital they performed a RNA test since Drs were suspecting it was due to acute hiv infection, and the result was undetectable (less than 20 copies). After i left the hospital y have had sore throat (persisting for 2 months), i had an apisode of fever (3 days), my transaminase were elevated to around 250, and continious head aches. I performed an hiv test at two months and another one at three months after the begining of my meninigitis and they were both negative. I dont know what type of test it was but they were performed in the best private hospital of my city (colombia). After my episode of meningitis i havent had any risk situations. I am verry worried since ive had a lot of symptoms. I am really scared that i have infected my girlfriend since she experienced night seats two days ago. The thing that worries me the most is not finiding a cause for my meningitis and the fact that it was about two weeks after my risky situation.

1. Is the last test at three months conclusive 100%, or should y take further tests?
2. If the meningitis was due to acute hiv infection would the tests i tookes afterwards have to show positive?
3. What is the risk of receiving oral? (For the person being sucked?)
4. Can i have unprotected sex with my girlfriend or is it a risk for infecting her?
5. Can i be 100% sure that i didnt contract hiv or should i test at 6 months?

I already had the opinion of one doctor but i wantes to have a second opinion so that i can leave this behind me. HELP PLEASE!
Good Morning Jason

I understand your confusion and uncertainty but you are not HIV positive.

Viral meningitis is a sudden and upsetting illness whcih can be terribly severe but usually realtively mild. It affects young adults and is quite common. The biggest fear we as doctors have is missing either a bacterial menigitis (meningitis) or missing a bleed inside the head - tahst why we - and your good doctors in Colombia, took it so seriously. Unfortunately we rarely discover exactly which virus caused the event.

To your questions:-

No, you've had enough tests. The initial RNA test was good - if that had been an HIV related illness then you would have had a positive result. The subsequent tests are good and accurate and I'm sure the doctors are looking after you properly - it certainly sounds like they are.

Yes - most definitely.

Zero - no know cases reported or recorded

Yes - definitely.

You did not contract HIV. You do not need to prolong this anxiety any further.

best regards, Sean
Dr, I also feel since 2 months and one week ago a burning sensation on the skin. Like if i was very hot in my inside. Is this also an ars symptom?
I also feel my eyes real hot and when i close them they feel like kind of sore like when you have fever. They also have a pinkish color. This happened since two months and week ago and is still happening.
Thank you very much for your words doctor, they are a relief for me. I just have two more questions, and i promisse they are my last before i leave this whole issue behind me and move on.

1. How long does it take for antibody tests to become positive after acute hiv symptoms?
2. Do ARS symptoms come and go? can they last more than 8 weeks?

Thank again in advanced for your answers. You do a great job helping out people. God be with you.
Please doctor answer me this last two questions!!! I would be very greatfull to you.
Hello

At 6 weeks after an event more than 99% of people will have formed antibodies to HIV. By 12 weeks as near to 100% as is biologically possible will have formed antibdoies to HIV.

They tend not to come and go. There is a usually a very severe illness at approximately 2 to 4 weeks after the infection and the symptoms will  last a few weeks at most and then resolve. I have never seen symptoms of acute HIV last more than a few weeks - certainly never 8 weeks.

best wishes, Sean
Doctor my first question was how long does it take for an antibody test to become positive after acute hiv symptoms, not from the risky event, but from when ars symptoms start. Thak you in advanced.
Doctor, due to the fact that i got viral meningitis and the fact that i get sick very often (sore throat and colds) like once every two monthsn can it mean that i have a compromissed imune system and that i can be a late seroconveter? I dont do drugs, not on chemo, not on pep, and dont take anti rejection drugs. Or can i move on and believe my 3 month post meningitis test? I promisse i wont as anything after this. Thanl you and god be with you doctor.
I forgot to mention i am experiencing white tongue which i read is due to a weak imune system? Doctor please answer me if you think these symptoms make you believe i have a compromissed imune system and therefore i might be a late seroconverter?
I promisse i will never ever ask abou this agaon but i need thes last question answered. Can i be sure that i am not the exception of the rule of 3 month mark and that i can believe me 3 month test result. Even if i get sick very often and have white tongue. I get colds and sore throat very often.
Doctor please i really need this last caritative effort from you to answer my question. I have read in many websites that having frecuent colds and sore throats and constant allergies means a person has a weak imune system. This is my case. Do you think that because of this i can delay seroconversion and that my 3 month test post exposure is not 100% conclusive? Or would the immune system have to ver extremly weekende fot this to happen? How do i know if this is my case. I will be veryyyyyy happy when you answer me and promise never to ask anything again. This one last time please.
Pleaso answer me this last time doctor.