HIV - International Expert Forum
Blood from syringe inserted in mouth?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Blood from syringe inserted in mouth?

Dear Sir,
My 7 year old son came back from skool and told me that a classmate had inserted a syringe in his mouth and ingected rainwater in it. He told me there was no needle, just the plastic syringe.
I didnt Think much of it then but now I am. I have no ide where he got the syringe from, I dont know if he found a syringe on the ground or if he took it from his home.  What if there where some blood left in the syringe and it got injected in my sons mouth togheter with the rainwater. I'm freaking out. Does My son requier an HIV test? I mean there was no needle involved? But What if the syringe had bean used in injecting drugs?
please advice!
Thank you for your post.
The most important factor here is that there was no needle, hence no risk of needle stick injury in the mouth.  
The reality is that I do not believe that anyone can contract any blood borne viral infection this way, even if there was some blood inside of the syringe.  HIV does not survive very long outside of the body, the water would certainly destroy it, and the saliva inside of the mouth would neutralise it.  Therefore there is no risk of HIV; no need for your son to get tested.
The most he could possibly get, would be something like food poisoning from contaminated water.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Dear Dr,
Could You please respond to my question.
But What if there was à needle, I have no way of knowing for sure!  the blood in à syringe could stay viable for à long time, Right?
Can I still relax and drop My anxiety?
I think that you need to calm down.  Even if there was a needle with blood, the virus becomes unstable within seconds of being outside of the body and dies within minutes, without any risk of infection.
I believe that you need to try to relax and forget about it.
Best wishes,
Dr José