HIV - International Expert Forum
Contact between semen and nose bleed

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Contact between semen and nose bleed

Hi there,

I understand the risk of HIV transmission through the oral medium, even if ejaculate is present in the mouth, is very low. However, I know that sores or open cuts raise the risk. Well funny thing happened. I let my last partner ejaculate into my mouth and onto my face. I didn't think anything of it until I went to go wash it off in the bathroom. As I was putting my mouth under the sink, my nose started bleeding (for no discernible reason) and I'm pretty sure water (mixed with semen) washed back into my nose as my head was tilted. I blew out my nose for the most part, but I'm wondering how likely HIV transmission through a cut in the nasal septum would be.

I'd really appreciate your feedback. About 7 days post-exposure, I now have a mild "cold-like" illness with sore throat, runny nose, and one enlarged lymph node. It seems a bit early and mild for acute HIV syndrome, but from my understanding it can't be ruled out. I'm wondering if I should see a doctor at the University clinic. I understand HIV-antibodies won't be present in the blood for up to 90 days. In the meantime, do doctors typically refer patients for antigen or nucleic acid testing? I am sexually active and practice safe sex, but it'd be helpful to know my HIV status before I engage in sexual activity with other individuals.

Thanks for your help
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our HIV forum.
I would think it would be highly unlikely that you would become infected this way.  This is for a number of reasons:  firstly unknow status of the other partner (statistically he is more likely to be negative), secondly the amount of sperm going up your nose would be possibly very small, and thirdly you started having a nose bleed after having had this man ejaculating on your face so the access into your blood stream was not there when you firstly came into contact with the sperm and the blood is streaming out, claering any sperm mixed with water that you might have had.   Your  non-specific symptoms would be far too early ayway  to be related to acute sero-ocnversion.  Therefore all in all, due to all these variables, I can conclude that there was no risk of HIV for you, and because of this you would not need to be tested.  However I can understand your concern and hence wanting to have a test for peace of mind.  You do not need to wait 90 days to have complete certainty about a possible HIV infection: after 7 days one could have a PCR Multiplex test and after 28 days, a HIV Duo or Combo test (detecting antibodies and p24 antigen).
My advice to you is not to worry as I stronlgy believe that you did not put yourself at risk at all whatsoever.
Best wishes,
Dr José