HIV - International Expert Forum
Dna pcr test
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dna pcr test

I had a dna pcr test done after 9 days and 4 hours of possible exposure.Test results were negative. How accurate is this negative test results? Which test would have been the best to take, rna or dna pcr test? If I took an duo oral test 19 days post exposure and it was negative what would that indicate in regards to hiv infection. Should I be worried if i'm having on and off again headache, joint pain, and continuious skin problems.(acne,black heads, redness in skin); looks like a possible allergic reaction. The acne looks like pimpleish bump with some of them having red skin around the pimple. Thank you for time and for offering this service.
1024580_tn?1331577721
Hello,
Thank you for your post.
Symptoms are not really relevant if worried about HIV sero-conversion, as they are not specific.  In any case your symptoms are not typical and do not seem to correlate with HIV sero-conversion.  Make sure that you get also tested for the common STDs.
Regarding your tests, a PCR DNA test at 9 days is not considered conclusive, with possibly a reliability of less than 94%.  Because of this, we do not carry out this test anymore, and we prefer to use the PCR RNA test with a reliability of over 99%.  A Duo test at 19 days, even though highly reassuring, it is not conclusive either and you would need to have it repeated after 28 days.  The fact that you had a negative result after having had those symptoms, that would exclude that these symptoms have anything to do with HIV sero-conversion.
Best wishes,
Dr José
4 Comments
Blank
when could I be considered free and clear of hiv?
Blank
by the way I took an oraquik test and it was negative..thank goodness
Blank
5628687_tn?1371411467
just have a duo at 28 days followed by an antibody test at 12 weeks. pcrrna tests are not even approved for diagnosing hiv
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
936016_tn?1332769204
Dr Sean CummingsBlank
FreedomHealth
London,
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now