HIV - International Expert Forum
Dna pcr test

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Dna pcr test

I had a dna pcr test done after 9 days and 4 hours of possible exposure.Test results were negative. How accurate is this negative test results? Which test would have been the best to take, rna or dna pcr test? If I took an duo oral test 19 days post exposure and it was negative what would that indicate in regards to hiv infection. Should I be worried if i'm having on and off again headache, joint pain, and continuious skin problems.(acne,black heads, redness in skin); looks like a possible allergic reaction. The acne looks like pimpleish bump with some of them having red skin around the pimple. Thank you for time and for offering this service.
Thank you for your post.
Symptoms are not really relevant if worried about HIV sero-conversion, as they are not specific.  In any case your symptoms are not typical and do not seem to correlate with HIV sero-conversion.  Make sure that you get also tested for the common STDs.
Regarding your tests, a PCR DNA test at 9 days is not considered conclusive, with possibly a reliability of less than 94%.  Because of this, we do not carry out this test anymore, and we prefer to use the PCR RNA test with a reliability of over 99%.  A Duo test at 19 days, even though highly reassuring, it is not conclusive either and you would need to have it repeated after 28 days.  The fact that you had a negative result after having had those symptoms, that would exclude that these symptoms have anything to do with HIV sero-conversion.
Best wishes,
Dr José
when could I be considered free and clear of hiv?
by the way I took an oraquik test and it was negative..thank goodness
just have a duo at 28 days followed by an antibody test at 12 weeks. pcrrna tests are not even approved for diagnosing hiv