HIV - International Expert Forum
Dr. Jose and Dr. Cummins

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Dr. Jose and Dr. Cummins

I've asked in the prevention forum but I'm asking for more reassurance as I know you are specialists. I contracted chlamydia from  one time sexual intercourse. A week later I got a sore throat that persisted for weeks after antibiotics. 3 weeks after exposure I had a dry cough, joint pain, muscle aches and what I believe is pain is the lymph nodes. It started in the groin, then the gut, then was widespread through my body within a day. It is an ache and stinging pain. I tested at 6 10 12 and 15 weeks with unigold and oraquick advanced blood tests. I've was told these tests were conclusive but have also heard that rapid tests are not accurate. I want anonymous testing and RTs are all they offer. The ache and stinging has still persisted. My question is whether the rapid test are sensitive enough to catch infection at that time period?
Hello

Thanks for your post. You haven't given any information though about what actually occurred when you contracted the chlamydial infection.

I'm also sorry to say that I am not familiar with the tests you have mentioned - these are not in use in the UK. That said, if they are FDA approved antibody tests then you should be able to establish whether they are third generation tests. If they are third generation and FDA approved then I would be happy that they would provide you with an accurate result.

very best wishes, Sean
I'm not sure about the oraquick but the Unigold is listed as a third generation rapid test. That test was taken at 12 weeks. It was unprotected vaginal.
Furthermore, does the aching and stinging pains I'm having common of early infection?
If its possible to get an answer to the 3rd generation RT at 12 wks. Also the last question I would greatly appreciate it.
Still waiting for a response to 3rd gen rapid test at 12 weeks and oraquick finger stick at 15 weeks. Thank you.