HIV - International Expert Forum
False ELISA and Western blot test

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

False ELISA and Western blot test

Dear Sir,

I have read that Jews sometimes has a genetic subtype to HLA DR4 that somehow leads to false negative/false positive HIV testing.

Is this for real? I have done a couple of 4th generetion ELISA test wich came back negative after 3 months from posibble exposure. Am i safe? How can I be sure when these kind of reports pops upp?

I am of Jewish descent.

Please Help.

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forum.
HLA-DR4 is a cell surface receptor encoded by the human leukocyte antigen (HLA) complex on chromosome 6.  HLA were originally defined as cell surface antigens that mediate graft-versus-host disease, which resulted in the rejection of tissue transplants in mismatched donors.  HLA-DR4 is also involved in some autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, phemphigus, obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, IgA nephropathy, and polymyalgia rheumatica.  It is associated to different ethnic groups, including Askenazi Jews.
Cases of false positive results of HIV tests have been associated to the presence of HLA-DR4, not false negative.  The fact that all your tests were negative, there is no reason for you to be concerned as your results are conclusive, regardless of the fact that you might carry the HLA-DR4 receptor.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Dear Sir,

You are 100% sure that no false negative tests occurs due to this receptor?

If I have this receptor, can I produce HIV-antiboddies?

These false tests, were
Were they older HIV-tests? Not 4th generation tests.

Best Regards
M
It has nothing to do with the ability of you being able to produce HIV antibodies, but it has to do with a cross-reaction specifially seen in HIV Duo tests where a false positive reaction can sometimes occur.  No false negative test results have been reported in this cases.  I can assure you that your negative test results are fully conclusive.
Kind regards,
Dr José
Dear Sir,
Last question about HLA-DR4.
There are several subtypes to HLA-DR4, does it matter which ones I may ore may not have regarding the HIV-test?

If I got à false pos Elisa result, could the Westernblot also come back false pos ore false neg?

I'm sorry for asking
No, it does not matter.
False positives would mainly only happen in the 4th generation Elisa/Duo tests, and not in the Western blot.
Best wishes,
Dr José