HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV exposure/symptoms
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HIV exposure/symptoms

I am a 28 years old male...I had a protected vaginal intercourse with a sex worker...and unprotected oral sex with her....In the same night...i shaved the hair near on my groin area and i had some cuts there...
the female sex worker HIV status is unknown...after about three weeks from possible exposure...i was suffering from a sore throat (no fever, no rashes, no flu like symptoms except a sore throat with phlegm)...I’m still suffering from it right now...(after 54 days from possible exposure)...I had an HIV test on the 28th day after the possible exposure...the test was HIV 1 and 2 Ag/Ab..the result was negative...I took two tests again on the 34th day...the two tests were: HIV 1 and 2 Ag/Ab and Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1 (HIV) by RT-PCR,QNT and two tests results came back negative...I saw an Otolaryngology doctor, and he gave me an antibiotic....but my sore throat doesn't seem to be healing... although I am done with the antibiotic.. and although he told me he couldn't find anything in my throat...my questions are:
1. could the sore throat (1 month for now) be a symptom of HIV?
2. How long does a sore throat last if someone is infected by HIV?
3. Do the cuts increase the risk of having HIV specially from Oral sex?
4. Are the tests i have taken assuring/conclusive? what do they tell you?
5. i am planning to take a test after three months from possible exposure (for my peace of mind)...which test should i take? Combo, ELISA, PCR, etc...

please answer the five questions separately
1024580 tn?1331577721
Hello,
Thank you for your post and welcome to our forum.  Here are your answers:
1. could the sore throat (1 month for now) be a symptom of HIV?
NO, YOUR NEGATIVE TEST RESULTS ARE CONCLUSIVE FOR A NO RISK SEXUAL ENCOUNTER.  YOUR PERSISTENT SORE THORAT IS NOT CONSISTENT WITH HIV SERO-CONVERSION AND IS NOT RELATED OT IT.
2. How long does a sore throat last if someone is infected by HIV?
7-10 DAYS AT SOME STAGE BETWEEN 2 AND 6 WEEKS FOLLOWING THE EXPOSURE, AND NOT IN ISOLATION, AS IT IS USUALLY ACCOMPANIED BY A HIGH FEVER, RASH, LYMPH NODES, ETC.
3. Do the cuts increase the risk of having HIV specially from Oral sex? NO
4. Are the tests i have taken assuring/conclusive? what do they tell you?
YES, THEY ARE FINAL AND FULLY CONCLUSIVE.  YOU ARE HIV NEGATIVE.
5. i am planning to take a test after three months from possible exposure (for my peace of mind)...which test should i take? Combo, ELISA, PCR, etc...
YOU DO NOT NEED ANY FURTHER TEST.  THE TEST RECOMMENDED AT THAT PERIOD OF TIME WOULD BE THE ELISA TEST.  IT WILL BE NEGATIVE.

Kind regards,
Dr José
5 Comments
Blank
5628687 tn?1371411467
no exposure.is there a way to close a thread moderator lol
Blank
i paid for an answer from a doctor
Blank
Dr Sean, Dr Jose or Dr hhh

will you please answer my question? thank you in advance
Blank