HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV from Fingering Vagina

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

HIV from Fingering Vagina

Dear Doctors,

Please excuse my question.  It may be my guilt and anxiety that is leading to my concerns.

24 hours ago I visited a bar with CSWs in Singapore.  I fingered a CSW for about a minute - two fingers.  10 minutes later I washed my hands with soap and water.

This morning on checking my hands I noticed that I have a small surface cut on one of the fingers and also a small cutical cut on the other (i.e. the two fingers used for the fingering).  Each cut is approximately 1 mm long and whilst there is a small amount of blood visible below the surface of the skin the cuts look like surface cuts.  I do not know if the cuts were fresh at the time of fingering.

I realise that you must receive many questions along these lines.  Can you please advise what level of risk I have for getting HIV and other STDs from this stupid action.  Can you please also provide me with any scientific / medical reasoning that you have.

I am very concerned as I am married and do not want to harm my wife.

Thank you

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forum.
You do not need to worry about this incident.  Fingering a vagina is not a risky sexual practice, and you cannot contract any STDs that way, even if you had noticed some cuts on your fingers.  No one has ever become infected that way, certainly not HIV.  No need to get tested either.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Dear Dr José,

Thanks for your response.  My anxiety led me to get an HIV-1 RNA Qualitative Test on 3 April, 13 days and 16 hours after the exposure.  My understanding is that this is a PCR test.  Can this test be considered conclusive at 13 days and 16 hours from exposure?

Thanks again.

As José has said, you were never at risk in the first place. The test you have had would be conclusive at 10 or so days even if you had been exposed - which you weren't.

You are not HIV positive from this "episode".

best wishes, Sean
Thanks to you both - your feedback is much appreciated.