HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV in Ukraine

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

HIV in Ukraine

Hello, I am 23 and stupidly had unprotected vaginal sex with a random Ukrainian girl who I met at a nightclub while travelling in Kyiv Ukraine. I have no reason to believe she was infected with HIV but between 1-2% of Ukraine's population are and a large percent of those don't know that their infected. What are the chances that I have been infected? Should I get tested? If so, how long should I wait?

Thank you.
Tags: HIV
Thank you very much for your post and apologies for not having replied sooner.  The risk to you is relatively low form the point of view of HIV in the event that the lady was positive.  It is estimated at less than 0.1%.  However you should definitely get tested, after 4 weeks if suing the 4th generation Duo test, or after 12 weeks, if using the antibody test.
I agree with the other contributor in the advice to get checked for other STIs as well.
Best wishes,
Dr José
You can get post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV within 72 hours of exposure. If > 72 hours it's not sure to be useful. I don't like explaining with the percentage of transmitting HIV. It really depends on the number of viruses in her body. It also depends on whether you or she has other sexually transmitted infection like syphilis. You can test HIV now but you should repeat the test after 3 months to recheck if you use antibody test. Please also consider the chance of transmitting Hep B and other sexually transmitted infections (syphilis, gonorrhea, etc)
HoLa doctor .. Tube una situación de riesgo ósea una ruptura de preservativo con alguien que no se si tiene el virus ... Me realize un test anti VIH ag/ac abbott arquitect a los 53 dias y me dio negativo .. Mi pregunta es vuelvo a las 12 semanas a realizarme lo nuevamente o mis resultados son concluyentes ? Porfa ayúdenme soy de Chile gracias amigos agradecería su respuesta