HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV risk, waiting for test result

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

HIV risk, waiting for test result

Dear Doctor,

I am currently waiting for the result of a HIV combo test (I will get the result on Wednesday), and the wait is killing me! I have no idea about what kind of a result to expect.

The reason why I took the HIV test is because I feel that my immune system has become a bit strange / overactive over the last few years, and I thought that might be indicative of HIV. I've experienced the following during the last few years: chronic allergic rhinitis (diagnosed), bursitis that doesn't go away (1 1/2 years +, diagnosed), chronic anal fissure (after constipation, diagnosed and under treatment), strange new allergies, skin rashes / hives, eczema on the face (was told it was either fungal or allergic in nature, quite possibly seborrheic dermatitis), increasingly dry skin on face and hands every winter, a flare up of my asthma (had it as a child).

As a man in my 20's living a relatively healthy life, I became extremely worried that something else might be going on, i.e. HIV.

The thing is, though, that I can't think of any high-risk incident. I've ALWAYS used protection. The only unprotected event I can think of is some years ago where I used the same sex toy (artificial vagina) as another man I knew at the time of unknown status. It hadn't been cleaned between uses, but he used it about 7-8 hours before me. The person who took my HIV test thought it was a very low risk incident, but still a risk!

Any other "risk" would have been in a healthcare setting which I know is EXTREMELY unlikely as I live in the western world.

1) If that is my only risk, would you think that I could have gotten HIV from that incident?

2) Are the symptoms I described generally indicative of HIV?

Thanks,

Jack
Hello Jack,
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.
I will answer each of your questions here below:
1.) The incident, as described, would not pose any risk of HIV infection at all whatosever.
2.) No, they are not necessarily indicative of HIV.  I would suspect that they are not related to HIV because you did not put yourself at risk in the first place.  They are non-specific and they could be linked to hundreds of other conditions, much more common than HIV.
I am very confident that your test result is going to be negative.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Dear Dr. Jose,

Thanks a lot for your answer, it really helped me through the weekend. I got my result today, and as you suspected, it was negative. So I'm very happy! It just goes to show that you can't diagnose HIV by non-specific symptoms alone. If there's no risk, there simply is no risk :)

Best Regards,

Jack.