HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV symptoms and tests

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

HIV symptoms and tests

Dear Doctors,
5 months ago I went with a prostitute but the condom broke. From that time begins my nightmare. Three days after I had ballanitis my doctor prescribed antifungal pills and Travocort cream and went away after 10 days. Three weeks after the exposure I developed a sore throat. Three days after the sore throat I went to the doctor he diagnosed pharyngitis, my tonsils were also swollen and red. He prescribed antibiotics for ten days. The third day of antibiotics I had a light sneezing and severe muscle and joint pain. The seventh day of antibiotics my sore throat and muscle pain resolved but i continued having mild joint pain for another week. After a month or so I had reccuring ballanitis I again used Travocort cream for & days and Dactarin for two weeks and it resolved. Scared to death with all this I took an Hiv Duo test CMIA method at 10 weeks from the exposure and a repeat Hiv Duo test at 4,5 months both came negative. My questions are:

1) Are the symptoms consistent with ARS? If yes the tests wouldn't have been positive?
2) In the case that I didn't produce antibodies wouldn't the P24 be detectable?
3) Have the medications I took played any part with the tests?(corticosteroid cream)
4) What else could have caused these symptoms?
5) Are my tests conclusive?

ps. I didn't have fever, or swollen lympth nodes, or rash at the time of sore throat

Thank you in advance I am terrified with all these "coincindences"
Thank you very much for your post.  Here are your answers:
1) Are the symptoms consistent with ARS? If yes the tests wouldn't have been positive? THEY COULD BE CONSISTENT WITH ARS, BUT AS SUCH THEY ARE NOT SPECIFIC AND THEY ARE MORE LIKLEY TO BE UNRELATED.  THE FACT THAT YOU HAD NEGATIVE HIV TEST RESULTS AFTER THE SYMPTOMS, THIS WOULD EXCLUDE THAT THEY ARE RELATED TO ARS.
2) In the case that I didn't produce antibodies wouldn't the P24 be detectable? EXACTLY.
3) Have the medications I took played any part with the tests?(corticosteroid cream) NOT AT ALL
4) What else could have caused these symptoms? BALANITIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM, SOMETIMES VERY DIFFICULT TO ERRADICATE AND EXACERBATED BY STRESS, AND THE ANTIBIOITCS TAKEN WOULD HAVE ALSO TRIGGERED IT.  THE OTHER SYMPTOMS ARE THOSE OF A SIMPLE INFECTION, VIRAL OR BACTERIAL.
5) Are my tests conclusive?
YES, THEY ARE.  YOU ARE HIV NEGATIVE WITHOUT ANY DOUBT.
Dear Doctor,

I would also like to point out that I am not concerced with things such us rare string of HIV 1, or HIV2 with no antibodies form to it. I posted the previous question because I want a scientific approach to my story. If I am the most unlucky guy in the world so be it. I can't change fate. What I can change is my thoughts concerning the  unfortunate event that happened to me and continue fighting with life.

Thank you for the wonderful job you are doing informing and encouraging people like myself