HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV test negative at six weeks (Ora-quick advance)? Help.

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Hello Doctor, nearly 6 weeks ago I had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman. Exposure was not long at all, and it was only vaginal. My 5, going on six week HIV oraquick advance oral swab test was negative. Ive been really anxious and scared, the 5 weeks I had to wait before the test were horrible, I went through so much and suffered because of my decision. After I tested for all stds and HIV at almost 6 weeks, and everything came back negative, I thought I would be happier and less concerned, however, I went online and people started throwing around the 3 and 6 months, even 1 year timeframes around. My family doctor, and HIV educator of 25 years told me a six week test was reassuring. The grief itself has given me so many problems, acid reflux, intestinal cramps, sinus,closed eustachian tubes, and I woke up this morning with a sore throat and tmj where my jaw hurts, but no typical ARS symptoms, and as i stated its been six weeks. Im still scared but not as much. Im healthy and always have been and I hope it stays that way. My question is, is the oraquick advance at almost six weeks post exposure a good indication?! Can this negative result change at 3 months?! Im taking my mother with me before thanksgiving, and i hope its going to be a great thanksgiving this year with a negative result, I learned my lesson dearly and will not do anything like this again, I also started to think that maybe it was wrong of me to assume HIV, after not getting much more common stds from the woman, why would she have something like HIV?! She told me she was clean so many times but her status was unknown to me. Am I overeacting and are all these symptoms just because of my stress?! I just want to move on with my life, and I know my chances of getting it if she had it was low, like one in thousands I dont want to sound selfish, I really dont want to be that one. Sir, I also must ask: How are you so sure of your answers?! Thanks and God bless you Doc!!!
Hello, Thank you very much for your post.
The estimated risk of your sexual encounter is very low and that is assuming that the lady was positive.  I am sure that you are going to be absolutely fine.  We base our assertions on clinical experience in this field over many years, as well as numerous published studies.
The negative test that you had is an antibody test and as such it can be considered fully conclusive after 12 weeks from the sexual encounter.  However a negative result at 6 weeks is highly reliable and very reassuring.  My advice to you is to have it repeat it after 12 weeks.  I am sure that it is going to be negative.
Best wishes,
Dr José
And sir, if im planning on getting the oraquick advance test again at 11 going on 12 weeks, will that be conclusive based on my risk?
12 weeks will be conclusive as the Doctor has already advised.
Hello getitright77, I was just wondering if you also side with the doctor on this one and think im going to be negative at 12 weeks, I only have one more week left at this point until my final HIV test! Im nervous and the acid reflux hasn't gotten any better but im coping! Thanks for the insight sir, much appreciated!
Yes,I concur with Dr Garcia,expect another negative result. All the best.