HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV window period and false negative possibility?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Dear Doctor

I'm concerned about my hiv results at 13 weeks.. First of all, I had a low exposure to the disease ( briefly performed oral sex on a woman who's HIV status is unknown). I took a Ora Quick Advance hiv anti body test and the results were negative.. I read that if you do a test after 13 weeks the accuracy will be 99%.

However sometimes it take up to 6 months for your body to develop antibodies, in this case you need to have a surpressed immune system, undergone a organ transplant or receive chemo therapy for cancer or be a drug abuser. There were also doctors that said if you have/had any deseases it will be more accurate to test after 6 months otherwise you might get a false negative after 3 months but the chances are small.

Here is my scenario.. I have and always had a strong immune system ever since I could remember. But I had Malaria 11 years ago and it is said that the virus will remain in your bloodstream forever.. will this effect my hiv results after 3 months of exposure? I understand that malaria can cause false positives. I'm just tired of stressing out and being paranoid and want to make sure my hiv results after 3 months are conclusive.

Do you think in my case my results are pretty solid or do I need to re test again in six months?
Hello

""Do you think in my case my results are pretty solid or do I need to re test again in six months""

Your results are good. It does NOT take 6 months for modern HIV tests to identify you as HIV positive or negative. Your results are good and final. You are HIV negative.

best regards, Sean
Thank you doctor.. just to confirm with you, the malaria don't play any role in the results?
Hello again,

No, malaria will not affect the test results. Sometimes malaria can be mistaken for HIV and HIV for malaria through CLINICAL and not laboratory signs. Obviously also it is possible to have both diseases at the same time.

However, malaria will not affect the HIV testing methods.

best regards, sean
Thanks again doctor.
God bless