HIV - International Expert Forum
High Risk Lifestyle

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

High Risk Lifestyle

I have had high risk encounters. I am not proud of this fact. I had unprotected sex with women I did not know, 1 time including unprotected anal sex, with lube, but no condom. All of these encounters ended over 15 months ago. All one night stands.
The last woman I dated told me she was tested. I took an antibody test at planned parenthood 15 weeks after we had unprotected vaginal and oral sex, it was the fourth time we had sex. All vaginal and oral. It came back negative. I was screened by my doctor at 18 weeks. Negative. Do I need more testing? Can I rely on these results? Is the 6 month window something I should consider because of my previous lifestyle? Thank you for any and all replies. I feel weak, like achey (achy), especially in my forearms,  but I assume this is much too late for ARS. I cannot sleep, but I'm hopeful that it's only stress.
Please help.
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our HIV forum.
You are right when you said that you had put yourself at risk of HIV infection as you had several penetrative unprotected sexual encounters.  However you have been very lucky and you have not been infected.  I say this because your antibody tests were negative at the right time period.  They can be considered completely conclusive after 12 weeks.  The 6 month guideline is obsolete and nowadays no one needs to wait that long to get a conclusive result.  Relax and be happy.  Good like with conceiving!!
Best wishes,
Dr José
I wasn't specific on what testing I did. At 14 weeks I did the Home Access HIV kit, at 15.5 weeks I had the clearview 1/2 at planned parenthood. At 18 weeks the doctors office used chemiluminescence for screening.
Can anyone help me with these questions?
Thank you for your reply Dr. I am confused by the 'good luck conceiving' comment. I didn't mention conceiving. Was this a reply for someone else?
Thank you.
Sorry, I realize it's a phrase now....I've just been so wrapped up in worry that things like that are lost on me.
You really think that testing again at 2 months, to make 6, is unwarranted and would yield the same results?
Thank you Doctor