HIV - International Expert Forum
How long to wait for testing?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

How long to wait for testing?

Just wondering how long to wait for accurate HIV testing. I received unprotected oral sex last year. No sexual activity since then. I had a full panel of std blood and urine tests done at 10 weeks, then again at 13 weeks (including HIV). All negative except cold sores (hsv 1). Can I feel confident in these HIV results?? Is 13 weeks enough time to wait for an accurate test?

Also what is the chance of acquiring HIV through unprotected oral sex? I am male and live in Australia.

Thanks,
Welcome to our forum and thank you for your post.
Firstly I would like to say that receiving oral sex would have not put you at risk of HIV infection, and therefore there would be no need for you to get tested.  Your negative HIV test at 13 weeks is final and fully conclusive, as all HIV tests are so after 12 weeks.  You are HIV negative without any doubt.  The test conclusive at 4 weeks is the Duo test of 4th generation.  
Kind regards,
Dr José
Hi again,
One more question, I've been reading through the threads and noticed you have said some testing is conclusive at the 1 month mark for HIV? I always thought HIV testing took 3 months to show up? I'm in Australia and not sure what type of testing I had done.