HIV - International Expert Forum
In Your Opinion Can I Move on?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

In Your Opinion Can I Move on?
First I would like to thank you for all the work you all do. In fact I have used freedom health before but for some reason my email wasn’t working so I was unable to retrieve my password and I wanted to ask this question/s while it was still fresh.

So my background is that I was assaulted.

-Pep stated at 46 hours (also when testing after pep is three months conclusive? I have seen some places say six)

-First test on 2/18 for every STD. All came back negative. The HIV test was a 3rd generation antibody test. Also as far as the hepatitis tests do you think a month would be enough to clear me?

-My second test was on 2/28 and it was a HIV RNA PCR. This test came back undetectable/ negative. It was under 20 copies. I am not sure what that means but my doctor said that I am conclusively negative, but of course I still have my worries.

-My 3rd test was 3/13 and it was a rapid finger prick. The result of this test was negative.

-The fourth test I had was on 4/08 this was kind of my six or more week test. It was a 3rd generation antibody test. The result for this was also a negative.

-The fifth test which was my 10 week test was also a 3rd generation antibody test. Thankfully it was also negative.

I know that based on region everyone has different guidelines, but with all my negative tests would you feel comfortable in saying my 10 week is conclusive? In your professional opinion can I move on? I have talked to my doc but I am not sure he fully understands how much the assault has affected me, but I understand I cant test every week and call him every day for questions in regards to this. And both Dr. Sean and Dr. Jose seem to have dealt with pep in a much more personal way than I have been able to find in my “red state” location of the US.

Also, if I may ask one last question is the HIV/HEPC seroconversion a myth? If I would to have been co-infected my HIV test would be able to pick up the HIV infection, correct?
Hello and thanks for your question!

I've repeated your question beneath and my answers appear in caps underneath:-

Pep stated at 46 hours (also when testing after pep is three months conclusive? I have seen some places say six)

GUIDELINES SAY TEST AT 3 MONTHS FOLLOWING END OF PEP OR 4 MONTHS AFTER EPISODE = SAME

WE USE 28 DAYS FOR HEP B SURFACE ANTIGEN AS A GUIDE TO WHETHER THERE IS ACUTE INFECTION - MOST PEOPLE WILL FIT IN THAT TIME FRAME

I AGREE WITH YOUR DOCTOR - YOU ARE HIV NEGATIVE

GOOD - AGAIN HIV NEGATIVE

SAME - HIV NEGATIVE

HIV NEGATIVE

YOU ARE HIV NEGATIVE - DEFINITELY - FORGET THE HIV ISSUE -

YES - FORGET THIS - HEP C AND HIV LEADS TO COMPLICATED DISEASE BUT IN YOUR TERMS YOU CAN FORGET THE ISSUE - YOU ARE MOST DECISIVELY HIV NEGATIVE

best wishes, Sean
also i just wanted to say my the exposure would have taken place on jan 17th. if that helps with my timeframe.sorry to be a bother it is just on my mind.
oh um also all the tests that i had ran went to the lab and had the full blood draw. the only one i did in office was the rapid finger prick.
Thank you Dr. Sean,

They assault and this whole situation has been very traumatic for me. I am going to a therapist for the whole ordeal to work through my anxiety which has gotten pretty bad. I just keep worrying about it all. Once again thank you for your time.

I know the 10 week is a little under the 12 week window but you do feel comfortable with that result? Thank you again for taking the time.