HIV - International Expert Forum
In need of a HIV Specialist

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

In need of a HIV Specialist

Hello

I was involved in a short lived relationship with a former female co worker. We had unprotected sex numerous times during the two month relationship until she was fired. A few weeks later I fell ill and began getting paranoid. I had a antibody test and a rna viral load test at two month and the elisa returned non reactive and the the viral load was undetectable. I tried moving on but at 11 months I again became paranoid after getting sick and had another elisa and a hiv rna pcr viral load test that again it returned non reactive and undetectable respectively and finally another elisa at 14 months. Is it possible to have hiv with those tests returning negative? My overall health has deteriorated and with this constance sickness and elevated liver enyzmes it really has me thinking that somehow I am infected. I would greatly appreciate your medical opinion.

Many thanks
Hello

You do not have HIV from the experience you are recounting. The tests have established that and it is very unlikely in the first place that the lady concerned was HIV positive at all.

There are many causes of disturbed liver function tests - being overweight, alcohol, medications, other viral infections etc etc - you will need to explore the liver issue with your doctor.It does not mean that you are HIV positive and in fact all the objective evidence points in the opposite direction.

best wishes, Sean