HIV - International Expert Forum
One Time Incident

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

One Time Incident

I am a heterosexual male.  I had a one night encounter with another man two weeks ago (14 days) while exploring whether or not I had any inclination toward being bi-sexual.  We engaged in unprotected mutual oral stimulation without ejaculation (there were no sores or evidences of any penis traumas of any sort on the other person, and I had none nor have any evidence of any to date), and then I was the insertive (top) anal (unprotected, using a water based gel lubricant), again without ejaculation (Actually I became very nervous during this time and lost my erection and was unable to continue due to anxiety about the activity), there was no bleeding that was observed or any evidence of sores of any type.  I will not ever have this type of interaction again.
I have since spoken with the other man who claims that he does not do this sort of thing regularly.  I know this can either be true or false.  He also stated that he has tested negative.  He also asked my status, to which I stated that I have never had such an encounter, but would believe I was negative as well, but I did not know absolutely.  When I asked him how long ago he was tested he stated about a year.  I failed to ask him about any sexual activities he may have had since that last test.
I plan to have a full spectrum of STD (PCR is available for HIV and the website states that it is accurate after 28 days) tests at the 28 day mark at a local lab to confirm what I believe to be the case of my being negative, though I know intellectually there may be a possibility of course for a positive result.  I plan to be tested for all   STD's that are common.
My questions I suppose are, 'How likely am I to have contracted HIV from such an encounter, will the test be accurate (do I understand the test information?), are there any particular STD symptoms I should be looking for (Not only HIV), and is there anything I should consider apart from what I have already considered?
I am afraid pls help.
Hello

I think on balance the chances of acquiring HIV are slim.

This is because the other guy said he was negative (you can't trust these statements completely though); the intercourse was brief.

I think you should have a full range of STD tests and the 28 day interval will be ideal. The PCR should give you a very reliable result from very much earlier so I would be happy with a period of 10 to 14 days (I'm not quite sure which test they use).

I think you have a fair grasp of the situation - if you do this again (I know you've said you wont but I've been in this business long enough to know that that may be a false hope) then 1) use a condom always for penetrative sex 2) make sure you are fully immunised against Hepatitis A and B.

best wishes, Sean
Thanks for the reply.  If I am understanding correctly then, I could go ahead and have the tests done with an amount of assurance of reliability?  If so I will gladly proceed without hesitation.  I just don't want to waste money on top of the already upsetting circumstances.
Yessir, I think they will likely be reliable and also very probably negative.

best regards, Sean
Thank you so much, I will proceed forward.  Two last questions as this is certainly a new experience for me.  Would you suggest repeating the HIV test as a safety measure at the three month time frame?  And, will all of the other STD test be completely conclusive at this point?

Thanks for your time and insights, hope I never have need to use your services again :-).

Best Regards to You as Well,