HIV - International Expert Forum
Oral sex with old mouth ulcer and no ejaculation

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Hello Dr,

I am a gay man in a long-distance relationship. Unfortunately, last night I got drunk and made a mistake - went home with another guy from a club. We mostly just masturbated each other. I also briefly performed oral sex on him - although I put the head of his penis in my mouth just twice, for no longer than 10 seconds. I didn't see nor taste any pre-cum either. My concern is that on my lower lip I had a small mouth ulcer from two weeks ago, almost healed but still there.

Would you recommend HIV testing in this case? I last tested two months ago and everything was fine. My concern is I am seeing my boyfriend next week and I would like to know whether I can continue engaging in sexual intercouse with him. I know the risk is low and I tried to limit it further by not performing oral sex for long/just licking the shaft of the penis. But I am feeling guilty and have a history of quasi-hypochondria about HIV.

Thank you very much for your attention
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.
I believe that the risk of you having contracted HIV this way is negligible, even assuming that the other man was positive, and you had infected pre-cum inside of your mouth, with an open ulcer.  It is known that saliva neutralises the virus, and therefore the risk would mainly only be if there had been ejaculation inside of your mouth.  The estimated risk of this is between 0% and 0.04%.  However you might want to get tested for the common infections like throat Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea before you engage in any sexual contact with your partner.
Best wishes,
Dr José