HIV - International Expert Forum
PCR test AFTER ONE YEAR

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

PCR test AFTER ONE YEAR

Dear Dr,

My last risk was before 10 months. I did a lot of Antibodies test + combo test all came negative. Most of them I did it after 6 months.

I discover that there are very rare cases when the infected people dont produce antibodies and show positive on PCR test. I decide to do the PCR test and I have few questions:

1- How many type for the PCR test? and what the different.

2- Most of your answers you said its accurate 99.89 after 10 days. How about 10 MONTHS?

3- Most of the doctors dont recommed the test because a lot of false-positive. How about the false -negative?

Can I believe the result after 1 MONTHS OR ONE YEAR or I need to do it more than one time to make sure its not false.

4- In my country the send the blood to Germany for test and the results after 2 weeks. freezing the blood and send it which will be test after 1 week can give in-correct result?

5- If the PCR + Combo tests both come Negative AFTER ONE YEAR , can I move ON and am sure 100% there is no HIV and have sex with my wife.

Thank you doctor.
Firstly I would like to say that you DO NOT need any further tests.  You are HIV negative without any doubt.  Even in the unlikley event of non sero-conversion or later sero-conversion without antibody production, the virus would have been detected through the p24 antigen in the Duo or Combo tests.  Therefore having a PCR test will be a total waste of time.

THERE ARE PCR RAN AND PCR DNA TEST, TESTING RNA AND DNA RESPECTIVELY.  THE PCR RNA IS MORE RELAIBLE FOR HIV.
FINAL AND FULLY CONCLUSIVE.
WITH ANY TEST, YOU CAN ALWAYS HAVE A FALSE POSITIVE OR A FALSE NEGATIVE.  IN THIS CASE, FALSE NEGATIVES ARE RARE.
NO NEED TO HAVE ANY TESTS ANYWAY.  IF NEGATIVE (WHICH I CAN ASSURE IT WILL BE), NO NEED TO HAVE ANY TESTS REPEATED
YES, OF COURSE. THAT IS STANDARD PROCEDURE.

YES, YOU CAN.  I HONESTLY BELEIVE THAT YOU CAN MOVE ON NOW WITHOUT HAVING TO CARRY OUT THE PCR TEST.

Best wishes,
Dr José
Thank you very much doctor. This really help me.

Last questions :

1- Dr.Hook says : not all the time the antigen can be detectable even if there is no antibodies. I did my COMBO test after 10 MONTHS from last risk , still the antigen can be detectable ?

2- Have you ever seen/its possible a case which all the tests was Negative (DNA RNA COBMO ) AND the patient has HIV?
The only reason why the p24 antigen becomes undetectable is the presence of antibodies.  You would either have one , the other, or both.  If you have none of the two, you have not been infected.
The answer to your second question is NO.
Kind regards,
Dr José