HIV - International Expert Forum
Postive ANA test andrisk of HIV

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Postive ANA test andrisk of HIV

I'm male, married, 41 caucasion. Was possibly exposed to HIV 8 weeks ago (performed oral sex on a male for about 5 mins...have never done before). He did not ejaculate in my mouth and I did not have any open oral sores, nor did he appear to have any on his penis. I asked him to get tested for HIV (which he said he did at a free rapid response clinic and was negative) because I have had oral thrush and sores in my throat since that encounter. I tested negative after 3 weeks with the RNA-HIV test (tested with tstd.org) and negative after 7 weeks with the antibodies test (local clinic). After 2 rounds of topical meds and 1 of antibiotics for the thrush, my primary care physicain did blood tests and I came back with a positive ANA result. Are the related and do I need to worry about HIV?
Thank you for your post.
Firstly I would like to reassure you as your sexual encounter can be considered low risk.  In addition to that you ahve had negative HIV tests.  I am convinced that you do not have HIV and that the symptoms experienced have nothing to do with HIV sero-conversion.
ANA are antinuclear autoantibodies and they are not related to HIV and would not interfere with the reliability of your tests.  They are related to a possible autoimmune condition, rheumatoid disease or connective tissue disorder.  This has to be correlated with clinical symptoms.
Kind regards,
Dr José