HIV - International Expert Forum
Question about blood to skin, ARS

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Question about blood to skin, ARS

Hello, recently I had protected* vaginal sex with a csw in SE Asia. To make a long story short, the condom was on, but it didn't roll down all the way, only half way..it wouldn't go down any further for some reason. I fingered her, and thought she was getting wet, so i penetrated her with my protected* penis. I looked down after about 10 minutes, and there was blood all over the condom, on the unprotected half of my shaft, all over my scrotum and pubic area, and it had dried all over my fingers. She insisted this wasn't her time of the month, and she had no idea what the cause of the blood was. She also had what seemed to be a dry cough, but looked healthy other than that. I removed the condom to find that none of the blood had gotten inside of the protected part. I washed all the blood off of me right away.

I've been told by community members and another doctor on the other forum to move on after this incident and testing wasn't necessary. But now, after I sought their advice, it is now 18 days after the incident and I have developed a rash on my 'trunk', my flanks and a bit across my chest. The rash is small red dots that are slightly raised, and I would consider it widespread. It started this afternoon. I have had the starting of a sore throat, at about days 15-16 but fought it off with vitamin C and it no longer persists. I've also had kind of a irregular circular peeling rash on widespread on the topside of my forearms, but I thought that could be the skin exfoliating from a sunburn a couple weeks prior, and the ultra hot showers I take.

I am a little beside myself here...I have a wife and I have had unprotected sex with her since, because I was told that testing wasn't necessary (forum) and that I should move on with my life (doctor). I can't even describe how devastating it would be if I infected her.
Sorry for the delayed reply, but we have been very busy in the clinic!
The sexual encounter, as described, would have not put you at riks of HIV infection, as you can only get infected through the head of your penils, and it seems that this was covered throughout, regardless of the presence of blood.  You cannot get infected through the skin of your penile shaft, groin or scrotum.  Therefore I agree with the doctor that you consulted.  There is no need for you to worry about this incident, and therefore you do not need testing.  The only justification for you to get a test would be for your peace of mind.  The symptoms that you have experienced do not correlate with acute HIV sero-conversion.  Keratosis pilaris is very differetn to the maculo-papular rash of HIV, which would come accompanied by a very high fever, as well as a severe sore throat.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Just an update to Dr. Jose..I hope you can answer soon. After searching for possible explanations of the rash,  I have found that I have had keratosis pilaris all over my legs, thighs and stomach for years now...the rash on my trunk that I described in the above passage closely resembles keratosis pilaris. Very small., pin-prick dots that are ever so slightly raised. It's just that I've never had KP there in that spot before.

Could a rash such as anything resembling keratosis pilaris (chicken skin) be ARS related?