HIV - International Expert Forum
Reactive Elisa, Indterminate WB, pcr rna undetectable

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Dear Drs,
On 21 and 28 of Sep 2012 I went to a gay sauna and had unprotected oral sex with 2-3 men. I gave oral without ejaculation. in the beging of Oct I was feeling a flu like sympthoms so I visited my Dr on 9th Oct 2012 and he got me tested for all STD and HIV. My test was a 4th generation Elisa which came back reactive and it was sent to the public health laboratory of quebec to have confirmitory tests. They did the WB and LIA for hiv 1/2 and Eia for p24.I did not see the result but my dr told me that It came back negative.

I was still nervous so I went to a HIV clinic in Montreal and I talked to a Dr on Nov 5th 2012(almost 5 weeks after last exp). He drew some blood ( 4 weeks after intial tests) and a week later he called me and told me the result was reactive and he wanted to run PCR RNA test. So I did the test and it was undetectable and meanwhile the confirmtion test came,the WB indeterminate and lia hiv 1/2 negative and Eia p24 negative.
My dr again run the PCR RNA test at 26 the NOV 2010 it was undetectable and again he sent some samples to the laboratories for HIV tests. Also, he run a rapid insti test on 26th Nov( 8 weeks post exposure) and it was negative.
I am waiting for the results and since oral sex is considered low risk activity, I am confused.

Tags: reactive Elisa
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.
It is true that the sexual practices carried out would pose a very little risk of HIV infection, certainly if there was no ejaculation in your mouth.
I can understand also how confusing it must be for you, having had all those conflicting test results. My feeling is that you have had possibly false positive results, which can happen with some of these tests, and that the final tests that you are waiting for will be negative.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Thank a lot Dr Jose
I have been extremely worried and anxious.
Just wanted t to know, i I were infected wouldnt the PCR at 6 and 8 weeks sowed that. Also, For the confirmaory test of Elsia aparat from WB here in Quebec they performed line immunaasay for hiv 1 and 2 and EIA for P24. which were negative.IF I were infected I think the P24 should  be present by 5 weeks.
Thanks a lot
Exactly.  I totally agree.  That is why I think that those initial reactive tests were in fact false positives.
Kind regards,
Dr José