HIV - International Expert Forum
Risk form potentially HIV-blood tainted anesthetic gel

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Hi ,

I recently bought a gel product (combination of benzocaine & lidocaine) and rubbed a bit on my penile head (but carefully avoiding the urethra opening. I am also circumcised).

After 20 minutes I washed it off with water & proceeded to have sex with wife with a condom.

Later I noticed the gel had some reddish colour and I'm afraid if it could be blood since the supplier is a bit dodgy.

Questions:

1) Can HIV survive in blood mixed with benzocaine+lidocaine?

2) When I apply the gel to my penile head, the fact that benzocaine can absorbed into bloodstream, does it mean HIV (if its in the gel) also gets absorbed into my bloodstream despite the intact skin?

3) When I washed my penile head after applying the gel, can the water mixed with the gel and enter my urethra?

What is the risk of my contracting HIV from the above 3 scenarios?

Tq sir.

Kakaroct
Tahnk you for your post.  here are your answers:
NO, IT CAN'T.
AS MENTIONED ABOVE, THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE.
POSSIBLY, BUT THAT IS IRRELEVANT
ZERO

Best,
Dr José