HIV - International Expert Forum
Risk from exposure & reliability of tests
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Risk from exposure & reliability of tests

I will keep this as straight forward as possible.  I had protected vaginal sex with a SW for less than 2 minutes and I don't think the condom broke but she did use baby oil as a lube.  I though I was having ARS symptoms a few weeks afterwards, but I think they could have been psycholgically manifested.  I took an ORAQUICK test at 23 days (negative result) and just took a PCR test at 24 days, assuming that it hopefully comes back negative, what is your advice on getting retested?  or should that be conclusive enough?  

Highest Regards,

Rick
Related Discussions
1024580_tn?1331577721
Hello Rick,
Thank you very much for your post.
Provided that the condom did not break, you have not put yourself at risk of HIV infection at all whatosever.  However if you are not sure about the condom and this failed, as well as assuming that the sex worker was HIV positive, the risk for you of having contracted HIV from that brief single encounter, would have been less than 0.1% or less than 1 in 1,000.  Bearing in mind that you had a negative antibody test at 23 days and hopefully a negative PCR test at 24 days, we could conclude that you are negative.  Combining bothe negative results togetther, I would estimate a reliability well over 96% at those time periods.  However if we follow the guidelines strictly, a HIV Duo test (HIV1/2 Ab+ p24Ag) after 28 days would be the only one that can be considered fully conclusive and final.
Best wishes,
Dr Jose
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, Hi was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
936016_tn?1332769204
Dr Sean CummingsBlank
FreedomHealth
London,