HIV - International Expert Forum
Sex Worker Risk

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Sex Worker Risk

Dear Doctor, On the 27th September 2012 I engaged in protected sex with a sex worker. I am sure my condom did not break or had any leaks. Because of my extreme worry and anxiousness my local Doctor gave me a Dried Blood Spot Test HIV-1 Qualitative Real Time PCR DNA/RNA. This test was done on the 18th day after my exposure and it stated on the report sheet the following : The limit of detection for this assay is 2500 copies/ml in whole blood using the dried blood spot (DBS) procedure. The HIV-1 Assay information stated : This assay has been performed using the Abott Realtime HIV-1 Qualitative Assay. The test was sent to The Doctors Laboratory London and the results came back in 1 week and stated "NOT DETECTED". I was still very worried and did the following 4th Generation Antibody HIV-1 and 2 plus P24 Antigen tests on the following days after my exposure - 27, 31, 41, 45, 52, 59 and 66 days after 27th September 2012. I also did a Rapid Antibody test on the 53rd day after exposure.I am having extreme anxiety believing my results hence my questions : 1. Can I rely on the PCR Test on the 18th days after exposure as being conclusive? 2. Can I rely on the 53rd Antibody test as being conclusive ? 3. Can I rely on my DUO tests as being conclusive? 4.Can I be sure that my 66th DUO tests is conclusive and will not change to positive on the 84th Day or 90th Day? 5. Should i take my conclusive HIV DUO test on the 84th or 90th Day as I am confused as to whether 3 months is 12 weeks that is 84 days or is 3 months equal to 90 days? I am currently seeing a therapist who is placed me on anti depressants because of my extreme worry and axiousness. Doctor i will really appreciate our response to my questions as I really want to put this nightmare to rest.
Thank you for your post.
Firstly I would like to say that there was no riks of HIV or any other STI because it was protected penetration and you would have not needed any HIV tests in the first place.
Secondly I can assure you that you are HIV negative without any doubt as your negative tests are final and fully conclusive.  You DO NOT need any more tests.  You are HIV negative, and therefore you could not transmit it to anyone, including your wife.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Thank you very much for your answers Dr Jose. This is greatly appreciated as i will continue my therapy to get rid of this hiv fear that has been wrecking my mind.
One more question. If the vaginal sex was unprotected would my negative test results still be conclusive or would i have to test on the 84th or 90th day after exposure? The reason i ask this question is because of my drunken state maybe i did some unprotected with the sex worker and cannot remember. My therapist has told me to test at 90 days as this will be part of my therapy on closing this chapter and moving on with my life. On other words i am asking you ifni should test at 84days or 90days to be absolutly sure that i am all clear even if i had unprotected vaginal penetration with the sex worker. I really am sorry for this last question but i really want to be absolutly sure i am all clear and this would really help me get over my hiv anxiety as my therapist have advised me. Thanks in advance and continue the great work and i wish you and your family the very best for this Christmas Season and a Happy New Year 2013
Hi Dr Jose as expressed above can you please answer my last question. Thanks in advance and all the best
I dont mean to be bother but i got warned by medhelp for excessive posting because of the error my computer made by posting the same question 4 times. Hence I am writing this post in good faith for the answer of my last question and really dont want to get warned again by medhelp because of my computer mistake.I am very Sorry for any inconvienence casued to both yourself and Medhelp. I await your valued answer Dr Jose.
Dear Dr Jose, can you please answer my last question. I am very sorry but i will really appreciate your answer on my last question as to finally close the chapter on this terrible nightmare. I am still a bit anxious and want to put these worries to rest. Thank you in advance
Dr Jose olease answer my last question which is if i did unprotected vaginal will my tests still be conclusive ?
Hi Dr. If my exposure on the 27th September 2012 was unprotected will my negative test results still be conclusive. As i told you my therapist have told me to test at 90 days to finally close the chapter as my therapist has made this final 90 day test part of my therapy to get rid of my hiv anxiety.my final question that i am begging you to answer is should i rely on the 84th day test as being conclusive or should i rely on the 90th day test as being conclusive. I really would appreciate your expert answer as this will help ease my mind and help my anxiety condition . Thanks in advance
Please, calm down!
As I mentioned in my answer, your negative test result was final and fully concluisve without the need to have any further tests.  You are HIV negative.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Thanks alot Dr. I am sorry for the inconvenience but my anxiety is killing me and I have started to see a therapist who has placed me on meds to help me calm down and manage my anxiety and worry. I wanted to also tell you that becuase of my anziety and worry i did a 80th, 84th, 90th, 91st and 96th 4th Generation Elisa Hiv duo test. I know i did crap by re-testing but i still have a small bit of anxiety and worry that is frustrating the hell out of me. Dr can i certainly be re-assured that i am HIV free with these last batch of negative tests (80th,84th,90th,91st and 96th) ? I will really appreciate this last answer from you as I know i am over reacting but this will help my HIV Anxiety go away. Thanks in advance Dr and Happy New Year 2013 !