HIV - International Expert Forum
Test Reliability PEP

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Test Reliability PEP

Dear Doctors,

I want to ask you about the reliability of a HIV test I took due to PEP I had taken before. I'll explain why I took the test first. Because of 2 drunken mistakes.

1st mistake was with a Jamaican prostitute. I fingered her and afterwards noticed that I had small cuts on my finger.

I also had another drunken mistake with a Polish prostitute. The only thing I did that might have been risky was kissing her on the vagina like you would kiss someone on the cheek. I had a cut on the front of my lip. also on the inside of my cheek and a cut on my gums near my front teeth, bottom row.

During both episodes I noticed that the girls became wet and I got fliud on my hands. I went home, must have taken me about 15mins, washed my hands and took out my contact lenses. I did touch my eyes when taking them out because I was drunk and clumsy

I had the DUO test 4 weeks after the last mistake and it was negative,

The only thing is after the first mistake I went to the doctors and there was not a sexual health specialist working as it was a saturday, so they decided to give me enougth PEP to last me until the Monday when I could see a specialist. The specialist said I didn't need PEP so I stopped taking it. So I had one dose of PEP Saturday evening, 2 Sunday (morning and evening) and 1 Monday (morning).

I took the PEP 7 weeks before my DUO test.
Can I trust the negative result?
Could the PEP I took make this result unreliable?
Do I need further testing?

Good Morning

You did not have an exposure on either occasion. The PEP was unnecessary and the specialist took you off it.

The tests would always have been negative and the brief period of PEP is irrelevant in terms of the ultimate result.

To your questions:-

Can I trust the negative result?

Yes, you didn't have a risk in the first place, the PEP is irrelevant and the test is accurate.

Not at all. No risk in the first place. a few days PEP of no concern.

Do I need further testing?

No.

best wishes, Sean
thanks a lot for the quick answer, I can finally go back to living my life : )