HIV - International Expert Forum
Weak positive ELISA

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Weak positive ELISA

I had an  encounter around 5 weeks ago where I performed oral sex on a female prostitute in Dubai (she was Asian although I am not sure from where exactly). The vaginal sex was protected. I was worried so I got tested for all STD's. Everything was negative except for the HIV ELISA test which showed a weak positive result (1.20 against a cutoff of 1.0).
As you can imagine I am freaking out right now and am having trouble functioning/eating/sleeping and working. The doctor has taken more blood to have a Western blot test however this has to be sent to Germany and this will take 2 weeks. I guess I want to know if 1.20 is high and if, onceits above the cutoff, a higher number increaes the chances that I am HIV positive? The doctor said the cutoff for strong positive is 3.00. What are my chances of testing negative under the Blot test? My world has been thrown up in the air here. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Gaz,

I think in all likelihood everything will be fine, although in my experience this always causes great upset and disturbance so I'm not surprised you are alarmed.

All biological tests have a false result rate associated with them. I obviously don't know what test it was exactly but it sounds as though you have probably had a false weak positive. These are not common but do happen and we have had our fair share of them in my clinic. As I say, it always causes alarm.

I think the Western Blot will very ikely be returned as a negative. I would suggest if you are able and the tests are available to have an HIV DUO = a 4th generation combined HIV 1 and 2 antibody and p24 antigen test. If that is negative at 28 days then I think that will conclusively rule out HIV for you.

very best wishes, Sean
Thanks Sean. So many tings are going through my mind right now.
Should I read anything into 120 against a cutoff of 100?
Hello again Gaz,

no, I wouldn't read anything into it - just relax if possible and wait until the further tests come through. I think you'll be fine.

very best, Sean
Hi Sean,

The Western Blot came back negative. Extremely happy.

The blood was taken only about 4 weeks after the incident. I know this is pretty early but due to the low risk of the incident and the advice on here I a thinking of putting it behind me and not bothering to test again at 3 months. Do you think this is wise?
Ace!  You lucky little sweetheart! Congratulations bro!