HIV - International Expert Forum
afraid of HIV

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

afraid of HIV
Dear doctor,
I am a man from germany. On Dez. 26th I had a unprotected contact to a male person. I don't know his HIV-status. One week after that I got a bad diarrhea (for 2-3days) with fever (38,5 degrees).  On Jan 25 I went to the doctor for a check up. I told him the problem. He said, that I should do a HIV-antibod-Test. Yesterday I got the result, which was negative. My doctor said, that this is fine. Either he could not tell me, if the test war 3. or 4. generation. I asked him, if I have to make again a test in 8 weeks. He said, that this is not necessary, but I could do, if I want. In his opinion the test will be also negative. Now I am a little bit confuses, because I thought that a HIV-Test only could be reliable after 12 weeks. Furthermore today I got a really bad sore throat. So my questions are:
- Is my doctor right? Is everything ok?
- Should I do further testing?
- What about the sore throat after almost 5 Weeks?
Sorry for my bad english!
Thank you!
Tahnk you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.  I will answer each of your queries here below:
- Is my doctor right? Is everything ok? YOUR DOCTOR IS RIGHT IF THE TEST CARRIED OUT WAS A DUO OR COMBO TEST OF 4TH GENERATION, WHICH ARE CONSIDERED CONCLUSIVE AFTER 4 WEEKS OF A POSSIBLE EXPOSURE.  ALSO AS THE TEST WAS NEGATIVE, THAT WOULD EXCLUDE THAT THE SYMPTOMS THAT YOU HAD EXPERIENCED HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIV SERO-CONVERSION.  BY DEFINITION, IF ONE EXPERIENCES SYMPTOMS OF ARS, A TEST CARRIED OUT AFTER SHOULD ALWAYS BE POSITIVE.  IN YOUR CASE THE TEST WAS NEGATIVE.  IT IS GOOD NEWS!
- Should I do further testing? ALL DEPENDS ON THE TEST THAT YOU HAD.  IF IT WAS A DUO TEST (WHICH INCLUDES THE P24 ANTIGEN), YOU WOULD NOT NEED ANY FURTHER TESTS; IF IT WAS AN ELISA ANTIBODY TEST OF 3RD GENERATION, YOU WOULD NEED TO GET IT REPEATED AFTER 12 WEEKS.
SYMPTOMS AT 5 WEEKS COULD BE THOSE OF HIV SERO-CONVERSION, INCLUDING A SORE THROAT.  HOWEVER A SORE THROAT IN ISOLATION IS RARELY A SYMPTOM.  ONE WOULD NORMALLY HAVE A HIGH FEVER AND A SKIN RASH.

Best wishes,
Dr José
Thank you for this very fast answer. Today I found out, that the test was an enhanced third generation test - HIV-1/O/2-Test (EHIV). So I have to go for another test? Is the first test at this point still a good news?
It is certainly very good news and highly reassuring, but not fully conclusive.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Thank you! I have still the sore throat. So I went to a laboratory three days ago to get an Ag and Ab Test. It came out negative. If I get you right, it is now conclusive!?
With best regards!