being fingered
Dear Dr. Jose,

I had two kinds of exposure:

1) I gave oral sex without ejaculation (I sucked), with some pre-cum.

2) A guy put his finger (with pre-cum on it) into my anus for approximately 10 minutes. When I got home I noticed that my anus was bleeding (because of the trauma, obviously). I do not know his status, but I met him in a sauna and he seems to be no cautious at all.

Please I would like to make 6 questions:

1) I've read in this forum that HIV is very fragile. When exposed to the air it becomes non-viable. However, how long does it take to become non-viable? I am asking this because there are just seconds (1-2) until the finger is inserted. Would it be enough to "kill" the virus?
2) 2-3 weeks after the exposure (being fingered) I started to have sore throat. By the medical point of view, is it possible to have sore throat due to anxiety?
3) Is it possible to have only sore throat as ARS? Have you never seen sore throat - as the only symptom of ARS - in your life?
4) My thought is: what would be the difference between a penis with pre-cum and a finger with pre-cum? Only the 2 seconds it was exposed to the air?
5) If there is no specific study how do people (some doctors) are so conclusive?
6) Do you think I need to be tested then (for those specific exposures)?

Many Thanks,

Worried
Thank you very much for your post.  I will try to answer all your questions here below:

1) I've read in this forum that HIV is very fragile. When exposed to the air it becomes non-viable. However, how long does it take to become non-viable? I am asking this because there are just seconds (1-2) until the finger is inserted. Would it be enough to "kill" the virus? IT IS A MATTER OF MINUTES.  HOWEVER ONCE IT BECOMES UNSTABLE OUTSIDE THE BODY, IT IS LESS LIKELY TO INFECT ALREADY AFTER A FEW SECONDS
YES, IT IS POSSIBLE.
YES, IT IS POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY.  MOST PEOPLE WOULD GET A SEVERE SORE THROAT WITH A HIGH FEVER AND A RASH
THEORETICALLY THERE IS POSSIBLY NO DIFFERENCE.  HOWEVER A FINGER IS USUALLY SMALLER THAN A PENIS, BEING LESS LIKELY TO CAUSE ANY DAMAGE TO THE ANAL LINING AND LESS LIKELY FOR THE VIRUS TO ENTER THE BLOODSTREAM.  IN THE CASE OF A PENIS, THE VIRUS IS NOT EVEN EXPOSED TO AIR AT ALL.
THERE ARE PLENTY OF STATISTICAL STUDIES THAT ESTIMATE RISKS, BUT ALSO OUT OF EXPERIENCE.  IN MANY YEARS WORKING IN THIS FIELD I HAVE NEVER COME ACROSS ANYBODY BECOMING INFECTED THROUGH ANAL FINGERING
THERE IS NO NEED TO GET TESTED FORM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THESE INCIDENTS.  HOWEVER THE FACT THAT YOU POSTED HERE MEANS THAT YOU ARE WORRYING ABOUT IT.  THEREFORE THE ONLY JUSTIFICATION FOR YOU TO GET TESTED IS FOR YOUR PEACE OF MIND.

Best wishes,
Dr José
I understand (and agree with you) that the finger is smaller than penis. However, in this case, the finger caused a big trauma in my anus perhaps because of the nails and the strong movements (therefore perhaps even more damage than penis). That is why it bled so much. In this case, I suppose the finger caused a likely route for the bloodstream, am I correct?
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.