HIV - International Expert Forum
combo test question (worried so much)

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

combo test question (worried so much)

Dear Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia, MD, MRCGP, PhD ,it is my great honor to ask you question here.I had a combo test with 4th generation Abbott reagent (contains antigen test and antibody test) yesterday after 35 days after exposure.My questions are as follows:
1.Is my test conclusive?
2.I know that hiv combo test contains antigen test and antibody test, and antibody test contains hiv1 hiv2 and other subtypes.Does antigen test in combo test also can test  hiv1 hiv2 and other subtypes(before antibody appears)?
3.Some say that antigen test in combo test is p24 test, it can only test  hiv1, is it right?
Thank you for your post.  It would always be useful to know what type of exposure and assess its risk.  In any case, I will answer each of your questions here below:
1.Is my test conclusive? THESE TESTS ARE CONSIDERED CONCLUSIVE AFTER 28 DAYS OF ANY POSSIBLE EXPOSURE.
2.I know that hiv combo test contains antigen test and antibody test, and antibody test contains hiv1 hiv2 and other subtypes.Does antigen test in combo test also can test  hiv1 hiv2 and other subtypes(before antibody appears)? THE P24 ANTIGEN IS FOR HIV-1 ONLY.  HOWEVER HIV-2 IS EXTREMELY RARE AND THE ANTIBODIES ARE USUALLY DETECTABLE ALREADY AFTER 4 WEEKS.  WE NEVER SEE CASES OF HIV-2.  IT IS MAINLY ASSOCIATED TO CASES IN WEST AFRICA AND IS LESS AGGRESSIVE COMAPRED TO HIV-1, LESS LIKELY TO INFECT.  THEREFORE I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT HIV-2.
3.Some say that antigen test in combo test is p24 test, it can only test  hiv1, is it right? THAT IS CORRECT.

Best wishes,
Dr José
The last question. I suffered hpv. Does the Interferon gamma injection(during hiv test) to acure hpv affect the hiv window period? Is the combo test still conclusive after 28 days after exposure?
Thanks!!!!!!