HIV - International Expert Forum
oral sex and the risk of hiv

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

oral sex and the risk of hiv

Dear Doctor,  I apologize if this is a repetitive question.  After recently going through a divorce i have started dating again.  Its been 34 years so I am nervous about contracting a disease HIV included.  Recently I met a man that I really enjoyed and we hit it off from the beginning.  We never had intercourse but I did perform oral sex on him 2  different times..The second time I believe some of his ejaculate went in my mouth before i could pull it out.  This didnt bother me so much until lastnight when this man said he didnt think things we going to work out between us.  He said he found someone new.   So I immediately start thinking what if he was with both of us during the same period.  Am I at risk because I perfomed oral on him and some of his ejaculate went in my mouth?  He said he didnt give me anything but then again i dont think he was faithful either.  Im very anxious.  I do suffer from panic disorder an OCD..  I would be very thankful for your answer. Also about  a week later i got a cold sore on my lip.  This rarely happens to me and i dont know if it was a coincidence from stress or being with him.   Thank  you so much.   i dont want to worry.  can you direct me to any articles regarding the risk of hiv and oral sex.  
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.
First of all, for you to be at risk of HIV, this man had to be HIV positive.  As his status is unknown, it is much more likley that he is negative.  The estimated risk of HIV infection through unprotected receptive oral intercourse (giving fellatio) with ejaculation in the mouth with a man of unknown status is less than 0.0016% (1 in 62,500), and these statistics refer to men who have sex with men in London, UK.  Among heterosexuals in other places, this would be much lower.
As you can see, the risk is negligible and I do not beleive that there was any real risk of HIV to you.  Saliva neutralises the virus.
If you have contracted anything, this would be throat Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea.  You ought to get a PCR swab from the throat to exclude these.  The cold sore is most likely to be related to your stress and worry about the whole thing.  try not to worry so much as oral sex is generally concidered a low risk sexual practice.  More information on this link: http://www.aidsmap.com/Oral-sex/page/1044877/
Best wishes,
Dr José
THank you very much Dr.  I will plan on having a throat Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea test done.   Is this done only by swabbing the throat or can it show up in a blood test?  Or a vaginal swab?  Im sorry if thats a silly question but I really dont know.  Thank you for the link on more information also.
I'm freaking out right now. What are my chances of acquiring HIV from recieving oral sex while having ghonorrea, which at the moment didnt show any symptoms, but which i had previously to the last encounter.

Regards,
In your case, you would only need a PCR swab of your throat, because only oral sex was performed.
Best wishes,
Dr José