HIV - International Expert Forum
seroconversion and exposure

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

seroconversion and exposure

What if I was exposed to HIV one time 10 years ago and no serocoversion took place. Could the virus lay dormant in my body and suddently reactivate itself after 10 years, du to some sort of mutation of the virus?. Is it at all possible?

I have red that frequently exposed seronegatives people sometimes have HIV virus found in their cells in a very, very small concentration. In this case could they suddenly become seropositive? Due to virus activation, mutation?

If you are not frequently exposed to the virus, is it still possible to have the virus in a very very small ammount, same as the frequently exposed? Or would you have to be exposed many many times?

If I only had one ore possibly two exposure to the HIV-virus years ago, could I have the virus in my cells in a very small amount and not test positive today? I mean what if I aborted the infection du to my resiliens to the virus but the virus didn't die but just went occult?

The medical papers about occult HIV, transient HIV, exposed seronegatives and so on. Have their findings been validated?

Thank you for your post.
I am afaid that all that is a myth.
If someone becomes infected, the virus gets into the bloodstream and replicates, affecting the white blood cells.  It does not remain dormant or hidden.  The immune response of our bodies with the production of specific antibodies would affect the extent of the viral replication and hence the viral load.  Individuals with a normal immune system and without interference of drugs like anti-retrovirals would always present with HIV virus and antibodies in their blood.  If this had been your case, you would be able to detect the virus now.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Dear Sir,

But what about these articles:
http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/News_Letters_HIV-AIDS-Aug-08.pdf
http://www.springerlink.com/content/t3446362j4328722/

And many more!

Please respond!
http://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/Fulltext/2010/06190/Seronegative_HIV_1_infection__a_review_of_the.2.aspx#

What about this one. They died from AIDS and did not serconvert
Seroconversion is the production of antibodies by the immune system and in some cases, though extremely rare, patients might not produce antibodies.  However if they have been infected thay would always have detectable virus in the bloodstream, i.e. p24 antigen, RNA or DNA.  These are independent of the immune response.  Therefore one way or another, the infection would always be detectable.
Kind regards,
Dr José
Dear Sir

Would the p.24 antigen still be around if you are infected years ago and you do not produce antiboddies?
If you produce antiboddies the p.24 Will wanish.

Thank You!
Exactly.  As the immune system produces antibodies, these will link to the antigen and eventually it will not be detectable.  However the antibodies would.  In the event of not having produced antbdoies for whatever reason, the p24 antigen will always be detectable.
Regards,
Dr José
Thank You Dr José.

So a normal combo test used in Europe at a modern big hospital would be sufficient?

I talked to a Senior MD at the infectious disease klinic in the university hospital of Malmö (Sweden). He said that if your immunsystem would be somewhat defect it would still be able to produce antiboddies. The antibody testing of today are extremely sensitive and he had not seen any evidence of people not serconverting after 3 months with modern antiboddy testing.

These extreme cases with no seroconversion must be due to old tests, wrong tests ore some extrem weak immunsystem in these people. He hase worked with HIV for 20+ years.And he said he trusted hard evidence and this would not be possible.

Do you concur with this opinnion?

Kond Regards
Nicholas