HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV infection Risks

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV infection Risks

Dear Doctor,

I am paranoid with my anxiety...desperately need your expert opinion on risk level of HIV infection and need for testing.

I went for massage 4 weeks back, the girl was in her mid 20's...I was nude during the massage and she was also nude..
first incident: I sucked her nipples for very brief period and felt sweet/sour taste in my mouth and I immediately spit it out....Second incident: Head of my penis accidentally came in contact of opening of her vagina for fraction of second and I immediately pulled back..it was impulsive reaction...and immediately used condom and no intercourse...I am worried about head of my penes coming in contact of vagina fluid and I immediately using condom and that might  have created friction ..

Symptoms: exactly on 15th day, I had feeling of soar throat and my  anxiety level increased..I was actually worrying  about getting the soar throat after the incidents....as my anxiety went up started feeling feverish and tired....my body temp. after getting soar throat was around 97 to 98F..No fever...no body pain or rash.....no runny nose....dry throat  feeling lasted for more than 12 days...used to increase as my anxiety increased...it reduced after reading your response to other simlar question..as my anxiety level reduced

Questions;

1. opinion on risk level of HIV infection and need for testing.
2. does vagina opening contain vagina fluid with active virus (active? because its surface)
3. Symptoms is this ARS....I was confident i had safe sex my anxiety increased after feeling soar throat...
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be happy to comment in the hope that I can relieve your concerns.  This was a no risk event.  HIV is transmitted in adults only through penetrative genital or ano-genital sexual contact.  It is not transmitted through the sort of non-penetrative contact you mention, nor through nipple sucking or ingestion of material from the nipple.

The sore throat you experienced is not the full set of symptoms which occur with recently acquired HIV and is only coincidental to the events you describe.  There is no reason for concern and not medical reason for testing.

I hope my comments are helpful to you.  EWH
Thank you your assurance helps, can you please answer my second question… this was left out

2. does vagina opening contain vagina fluid with active virus (active? because its surface) if yes why it cannot infect through head of penes

no more follow-up question to this thread
Your second question is irrelevant to the NO RISK situation you described but yes, the vaginal fluid of infected women does contain HIV virus.  EWH
Dear Dr,

I got my Annual health check reports today and wanted to know your opinion on below listed out of ranges results from my CBC

- RBC 6.62 High (high cutoff is 6.10)
- WBC 5.5 within Range (Lower cutoff is 4.5)
- neutrophil 39.4 LOW (lower cutoff is 41)
-Lymphocyte 48.7 High (high cutoff is 40, in 2011 my reading was at 40)

Does these out of range readings indicate early stage of infection ? my encounter was No risk...My doctor told me WBC is within range there is no need for follow-up and no signs of any infection....but he did ask me of any recent infection i had for which I answered no...should I relate my encounter and symptoms after 2 weeks with these results or they are not related to my non risk encounter... Need your opinion Thank you!
These results are not an idication of any sort that you have HIV or any other STD from the exposure you described.  The exposure was no risk for HIV.  EWH
Thanks once again Dr!
Dear Dr,

I am really sorry for continuing this thread, one final question , I was peaceful and relaxed after knowing your opinion on my exposure. unfortunately after looking at my CBC test results my anxiety has increased. Low neutrophil % and high Lymphocyte % with Absolute count of necrophilia  and Lymphocyte within range, means relative lymphocytosis (Wiki)...and relative lymphocytosis occurs with recent viral infection.....(recent ? its more than 53 days since exposure)
by relating all the events since my exposure in Dec last week and symptoms from 2nd week....and CBC showing recent viral infection is the reason for my anxiety returning.
1. what is your opinion on relative lymphocytosis, what could be the reason..is this related to HIV infection ? I am confident that i did not indulge in penetrative sex....but these events are putting doubt in my mind on the exposure itself...I am very conscious on safe sex and never had penetrative sex with unknown partner...Please advice..I almost feel like passing away
No change in my assessment.  Your blood count results are not worrisome for HIV- they are non-specific.  EWH
Thank you Dr!