HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
8 weeks hiv elisa and symptoms

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

8 weeks hiv elisa and symptoms

Hi, im a 23 year old male, had sex with a sex worker and my condom broke, that was almost 3 months ago, i had an elisa test taken at 6 weeks negative, thenat 8 weeks negative, since i live in mexico, i dont know how good the test is.
Plus i´ve been feeling tired, with no apetite, and i have a very dry mouth persistant for 3 weeks almost.
Today i was diagnosed with xerostomia caused by enlarged salivary gland, and i have read that enlarged salivary gland is related to hiv, plus i been having dermatitis, i have always had dermatitis but not this much and i have also read that it is hiv related so, my questions are:

Are the symptoms related to hiv?

is the elisa test at 8 weeks reliable?
Welcome to our Forum.  I agree with the advice you have already received on the International Forum.  Current ELISA tests provide effectively definitive results eight weeks after an exposure.  The continuing recommendations reflect the way that tests were evaluated for licensing and overly conservative estimates of test performance.  You can believe your eight week test results – they will not change with repeat testing..

The symptoms you report are non-specific and while they may occur in persons with HIV, most people with these symptoms have the symptoms due to some other cause. Further, when symptoms and test results differ, the test results virtually always are correct.

I hope this comment is helpful to you.  I recommend that you believe your test results.  EWH
Sorry, Doctor i know i shouldnt be bottering, but the dry mouth i have is because i have a submandibular salivar gland swollen according to my doctor, but he cant find a reason for it, he thought it was an infection and gave me antibiotics and it didnt work, its driving me crazy and i cant keep out of my head that maybe its hiv, now he is telling me that its due a mechanical process of the jaw that maybe i hurted myself
i need to know what is this i cant stand it
I am sorry that you continue to worry.  I cannot tell you what is causing your dry mouth but it is not HIV. As I told you- your 8 week test proves this.  Your anxiety may be exacerbating yoru dry mouth.  

I'll have nothing more to say.  Good luck.  EWH
Doctor, I dont know if this is of any concern but i´ve been taking antibiotics very often for the last 4 yours because i´ve been having recurrent tifoid infection, which is very common in mexico, can this factor have any effect on the hiv test?
No, taking antibiotics would not effect your antibiotics in any way.  EWH
Hello, I hope this isnt considered "hijacking" a post. You say 8 weeks is definitive...how about 6 weeks? heterosexual sex?
Dr. what if i made a mistake on the time and maybe the test wasnt 8 weeks maybe it was 7 or 6 could dry mouth be linked to hiv, as an early symptom? , i thought that it was 8 weeks but now im trying to remember and maybe im wrong, this dry mouth is very persistant and doesnt go away i cant stand it anymore
do you consider that i need another test?
Last answer- believe your results.  You do not need further tests.

Further repetitive questions will be deleted without comment.  EWH
Sorry doctor to bother again, but it turns out that the tests i have taken are not elisa but rapid tests and i took another test on december 5 with a negative result, concluding a 3 month window period and its a rapid test also, now i have been reading in the forums that you and doctor handsfiel say that they are not reliable as an elisa so now im starting to freak out again

Should I go and take an elisa test to another lab or are my test results ok?
Results are OK. EWH
Thank you so much doctor