HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
ARS Related Question

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

ARS Related Question

Good Afternoon Dr,

I will get straight to the point, i had a condom break during vaginal sex with a CSW in Thailand, the duration could not have been more than 10 minutes.  Excessive alcohol was involved hence the reason i failed to notice, this is in no means an excuse, my actions are my actions....

Approximately 2 days after the exposure i developed a sore throat.  Now i understand from reviewing previous posts that ARS symptoms generally do not start until between 10 to 14 days and typically last around a week.  My sore throat lasted for approximately 4 days and to be honest it disappeared after a visit to my doctor when they prescribed antibiotics and mouth wash...

My questions are as follows, i know they may seem very repetitive from other posts;

1) A sore throat alone is not typical of ARS, generally a fever and rash would be present?
2) The time scale of onset is far too early, 10-14 days is more in line?
3) The risk of my exposure is in the region of 1 in 1000 given the CSW had HIV, i asked her and she claimed to be free of HIV (don't like when people ask if they are clean) and was concerned if i was +
4) Current estimates in Thailand are that the % of CSW infected with HIV is around 5%, mainly due to the high infection rates in the rural towns in the north..
5) Based on the above %'s my potential risk can be estimated at .005 or 1 in 20,000...

As a final note, i have just taken my 12 week HIV test and are awaiting the results...

Would also like to say that reading the previous post all the Dr's on this site are doing excellent work...

Thanks..

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your thanks.  We're pleased that you find out work helpful.  I anticipate that your test results will be negative.  I'm sorry to hear of your condom mishap. this occurs about 1% of the time condoms are used.  I hope this problem will not keep you from condom use in the future.  

Let's go straight to your questions:

Correct.  The S in ARS stands for Syndrome, a medical term which describes a combination of findings which may SUGGEST a possible diagnosis.  In ARS typically in addition to sore throat there are muscle or joint aches, fever, rash and sometimes diarrhea.  Also, please realize with the ARS do not have HIV because like other syndromes there are many other causes of the findings.  Studies have shown that 1% or less of people with the flu-like syndrome sometimes referred to as the ARS have recently acquired HIV.

Correct.

Like you, I find the term "clean" judgmental and stigmatizing.  It is a poor term.  If your partner had HIV, your statistical risk for infection is about 1 in 1000.  I suspect she was telling you the truth, both about testing and being HIV negative- her concern about your status supports this.

I'll take your word on this but the figures you state do sound about correct.  Thailand has been very successful in reducing their HIV rates.

correct again.

As I said, I anticipate your test results will be negative.  Congratulations on your careful analysis of your risk- you are right on target.

Take care.  EWH