HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
About HIV and STD testing

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

About HIV and STD testing

Dear Dr.

Although the kind of contact was of very low risk, involving oral sex and protected penetration with a woman I asked my doctor for a 4th generation Ag/Ab test for HIV and for syphillis (syphilis) VDRL and FTA 92 days after a contact.

How trustworthy are those tests ? Do you think that I need to repeat them later ?

I'm asking this because yesterday I had a low fever without having any flu-like symptoms. I have absolutely no symptoms at all, at least to my knowledge.

Thanks fot your time and attention.
Welcome to the Forum. This response will be brief as the answer to your question is straightforward.  Both on the basis of the nature of your exposure and the timing of your tests, you can be completely confident that you did not get syphilis OR HIV from your exposure 92 days earlier.  Believe your test results.

Your symptoms are coincidental and not related to the exposure you have mentioned.

Take care.  EWH
Thank you.
Glad to help. EWH