HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Affects on testing

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Affects on testing

Good morning good doctors, here is my story i had unprotected sex with a bargirl when i was out of the country a while back ago. I had an elisa test at 8 weeks and came out non reactive. I repeated the same lab based elisa blood test at 3 months and 3 weeks and came out non reactive. Now during my last test i explained to my md that for ten years now i always had what i thought was reccuring boil on my buttocks. It would appear then dissapear for months or even a year or two. It never really bothered me so i never thought much of it. Then my md said he thinks its now anal fistula that might have to be surgically remove. I have a appointment with a surgeon in a couple days. So my question is does having anal fistula infection for such a long time have any effect in my immune system that it will delay production of hiv antibodies? And can i accept my 3 month and 3 week elisa test as conclusive that i do not have hiv?
Welcome to the forum.

The HIV blood tests are among the most accurate and robust diagnostic tests that exist for any medical condition, and were designed to not be affected by any other medical conditions.  There are no chronic conditions that have any effect on the reliability of HIV testing and an anal fissure certain has no effect.  Your negative HIV test results are entirely reliable.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
thank you for the response doctor. so just last two follow up quetions before i go.

1. so having anal fistula for 10 yrs will not affect the ability of my immune system to produce hiv antibodies?

2.i also had a full hep b ab igm, heb b surf ag and a hep c ab test done at 8 weeks after my exposure. is 8 weeks enough time for those tests?
1) No.  See above.

2) Yes, those results also are reliable.
Im sorry to bother you doctor. I just had my anal fistula surgically remove. My surgeon said there is small chance it might turned malignant and cancerous because it has been left untreated for so long. It has been sent to biopsy and should find out in a few days. You have stated that cancer sometimes delays hiv testing. Should i be worry a false negative? Sorry im just really having a hard time because now i have two diseases on my mind.
This isn't an STD or HIV issue, and those are the only issues we deal with on this forum.  Continue to work with your surgeon, but stop worrying about HIV.  I won't have any further comments or advice.