HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Am I correct?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Am I correct?

Dr. EWH / HHH,

Based on the information that you've generously provided on your board I would like to check with you if I understand possible ways of HIV transmission correctly and how it is not transmitted due to numerous reasons backed by science (that the virus weakens and dies after exposure to air etc.) and by statistics:

- Transmission to a man receiving oral sex from a woman is so low that it's considered practically safe. No transmission from a woman to a man during cunnilingus is possible and there were no registered cases regardless of possible mouth sores or lesions.

- It is not transmitted from a woman to a man if a man has a fresh, sore cuticle (or recent cut on a finger) during a contact with a woman's vaginal fluids during foreplay and fingering.

- It's not transmitted from a woman to a man if a man has woman's vaginal fluid on his fingers and touches his penis glans (glands) while putting the condom on.

- It is not transmitted during deep kissing with tongues even if there are fresh sores or other lesions present in mouth, lips or tongue and there were no registered cases ever.

- It is not transmitted if you have a fresh sore or a cut and you come in contact with infected blood - say if you shake someone's hand and he has some cut that you may not have noticed with blood.

- It is not transmitted if someone's saliva gets into one's eye while talking to another person even if that person had some blood in his mouth. Say he bit his lip while chewing a gum and has some blood in his mouth which got into your eye during a conversation.

- It is only transmitted between two adults during an unprotected vaginal or anal sex or needle sharing between drug users when the virus is transferred deep into the tissue. So unless a person has unprotected vaginal or anal sex or the person is a drug user that shares needles - there's no risk of contracting the virus.

Do I understand everything correctly?

Thank you very much.
Welcome back to the forum.  However, I fear you are overreacting, since the exposure you discussed with Dr. Hook was free of any risk of HIV or other STDs.

In any case, in all the scenarios you cite, you have correctly stated the HIV transmission risks.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Thank you, Dr. HHH!