HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Am i at risk ?
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Am i at risk ?

Hi dr
I was with a girl last week , i put my finger inside her vagina for 10-20 seconds then i lick her clitoris ( not her vagina hole ) then i rub my penes on her clitoris then i rubbed it on her butt that's all
1) should i be worry about hiv transmition ? Shoul i get tesr ?
2) if i test the 4th generation combo ab/ag (duo ) at 4 weeks shoul i test another one later or it is conclusive ?
3) if i test pcr at 4 or 5 weeks is it conclusive or i should test later ?

Thanks and forgive me about my english
239123_tn?1267651214
Welcome to the forum.

We get several questions a week from people who are concerned they could have acquired HIV by fingering or other hand-genital contact. The answer is always no.  There has never been a known case of HIV transmitted in this fashion -- even in the presence of healing wounds or cuts, visiblle blood exposure, use of genital fluids for masturbation,etc.  And HIV also has never been known to be transmitted by genital apposition or rubbing, without penetration.  Cunnlingus (oral contact with female genitals) also carries little or no risk; the virus has never been known to be transmitted by such contact, in either direction.

Preventing sexual transmission is very simple:  if a bare penis (no condom) doesn't penetrate another person's vagina, rectum, or (maybe) mouth, it is fair to conclude the event was entirely risk free, even if your partner had HIV.

Which she probably did not, by the way.  The other part of our routine response is that in the US and other industrialized countries, it is the rare heterosexual woman who has HIV.  Even if your partner is a commercial sex worker or an injection drug user, the chance she has HIV probably is under 1%; and without those factors, it's under in 1,000 -- no matter how promiscuous you believe she may have been.  So the odds are very strong you were not exposed.

I think those comments cover all your specific questions, but to be explicit:

1) This was a no risk event and from a medical or risk standpoint no testing is necessary.  Of course you're always free to be tested if you would benefit from additional reassurance with a negative test result.

2) The result is defnitive at 4 weeks with the fourth generation/combo HIV tests.

3) A PCR test is a waste of money in this situation, especially if you have (or have had) a combo test.  Don't do it.  

Regards--   HHH, MD
4 Comments
Blank
Thank's dr
The only thing that make me so worry that i'm married and i'm scaried to have sex with my wife now ?
Blank
239123_tn?1267651214
If this is your only potential risk for HIV and other STDs, no reason not to have unprotected sex with yous wife.  That's what I would do if somehow I found myself in your circumstance, and I would not be tested for anything.

It's very simple:  if a bare penis no condom) doesn't enter another person's vagina, rectum or (maybe) mouth, there is no HIV risk.
Blank
Thank you very much doctor
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker