HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Anal Rubbing and Mutual Masturbation

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Anal Rubbing and Mutual Masturbation

Could I please ask for your advice on HIV risks.

I am a 29 year old gay men and practice mutual masturbation only, no anal and no oral.

When peforming mutual masturbation I am presuming that there is near zero risk of getting HIV, my only concern is that if finger rubbing of the anus occurs at this time - with zero penetration does this have any risk of transmitting HIV. I am thinking if precum is on a persons hand and they are rub the anus could this transmit HIV - but again with zero penetration is this possible.

I hope I am just worrying over nothing and that this is safe aswell as mutual masturbation.

Thanks for your help.

Ali

Mutual masterbation (masturbation) without penetration is safe sex and does not lead to HIV transmission.  What makes it safe, even if you get secretions on the skin of your hand, is that the skin of your hands is rather thick, making it hard for the virus to penetrate and cause infection.  

If you transfer secretions from one person to another, whether on your finger or through direct contact, there is a (very) small chance of transferring infectious material.  Thus, rubbing/penetrating the anus with a hand which has secretions on it is a slightly higher risk exposure than just mutual masterbation (masturbation).

Thanks EWH
you just wasted 15 dollars! You could have answered that yourself.
Well cheers for the answer guess I was just after calming my fears that I have a near zero risk of any transmission worth paying $15 dollars for rather than thinking about it all the time. Cheers.
There is no need for your petulant attitude 'Extreme Stress'. This guy just wanted the good docs to give him advice, and they helped him, so why not save the peanut gallery jeers for another arena.