HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Another annoying question.

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Another annoying question.

Hello Doctors. Sorry in advance for my bad English. I'm italian. I'm 27 male.
I read many of your answer but i still want to have a mine one from you.
I recently came to London and i have met a friend (woman). Know her from Italy. We got to disco toghether, we shared cocktails all the night and then i got in her house to sleep only. When i woke up in the morning (talking about everithink) After two hours of speaking she told me she IS hiv +.
HERE MY QUESTIONs.
1- We were intoxicated (mdma) and she drank many times from my cocktail. Could mdma (knowing it is an immunosuppressor, grows up my chance to get hiv by drinking to the same glass?). I never seen or taste ANY sort of blood and me and i hope her too not have any visible lesion or sore or what else blooding things.

2- I know that HIV is not resistant out and many doctors in Italy told me it is an indirect contact and that the virus died in about 5-10 seconds (is this true?)

3- Many times when we were dancing she gave me the cocktail and probabily I drank in less time than these 5 seconds. Is this rilevant?

3- Sometime i have sensitive gums. The girl is hiv positive from the birth (she's african. adopted). Talking with her she told me that SHE 'IS TAKING antiretroviral drugs and that her level of virus is (-50). Is it in my favour or is it irrilevant?

4- Dr. HHH in onother post told that he and his wife too shared a drink with an hiv person and "they never worry about this". THis help so much.

The real problem is that i felt in love for a girl and now i'm sad cause i feel scared to the MICRO CHANCE TO HAVE take HIV. Please provide me any other information to reassure me.
Could i totally forget this fact and go straigh, no testing at all or could i put in dangerous this potential girl?

-I JUST DRINK ABOUT 7-8 TIMES FROM THE SAME GLASS THAN AT HOME FROM THE SAME BOTTLE OF WATER AND THAN EAT SOME POTATOES IN THE SAME PACKAGE.

Thank you very much for your help.

Tags: HIV SALIVA, Anxiety, HIV/Aids
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be happy to answer your question although it certainly is a question that has been answered many times before.  Your questions repeat themselves so rather than repeat myself, I will provide this fully complete answer.  This question is similar to earlier questions and suggests a misunderstanding of how HIV is transmitted.  HIV is transmitted in adults only through genital or ano-genital sexual contact or injection of infected material deep into tissues.  It is not transmitted by sharing eating utensils, touching, kissing or masturbation.  The encounter you describe did not put you at risk for any STD, including HIV. No one has ever gotten HIV through sharing a glass or eating utensils, no matter whether there was blood present or not.  Similarly, that you had taken MDMA does not change this.

You are correct that HIV dies almost immediately on exposure to the environment and on inanimate objects.

You have no reason to worry and no need to tesst related to the events you describe.  EWH
Definitely can we say that MY FUTURE girlfriend is at 0 risk from the episode i described?
When something like this happen to you and all tell you that you are at NO risk you are always afraid to be the exception.
Awesome..!
Awesome..!
Glad to help.  EWH
sorry but you did'nt answer to my last question?
Is the risk 0 o no? What does it means HHH with (little risk)http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/HIV-from-sharing-a-pipe/show/1163023. Please explain!
I'm really sorry but we are not talking about a normale bacteria. and OBIOUSLY IF the RISK is not 0 i will soon test me!
Best regards.

Sigh- you are being silly.  

I said above that your risk was minimal and that you had no reason to worry and no reason to test.  If there was a meaningful risk, do you thiink I would tell you not to test- that's not how we work on this forum.  

From another prior post-"As a generalization for both you and other readers, you must realize that we VERY frequently get questions asking if different types of exposures or prevention measures are 100% effective.  The answer to that is that this is scientifically impossible.  For a variety of mathematical reasons far too complex to go into here, all one can do with well conducted scientific studies is estimate probabilities.  By definition, any estimate, cannot ever be 100% certain because of the incredibly low possibility that someone will get HIV through a previously undescribed mechanism tomorrow.  On the other hand, when Dr. Handsfield or I say that something is virtually zero, very close to no risk, or of minimal risk, or use any other term to indicate a very small risk, that means "close to zero" in a world where zero cannot be attained."

You need to relax. there will be no further answers.  EWH
Good answer! I graduated in Economy so i can understand enough!(MAYBE BETTER THAN YOU) :)
For all the other readers, i like to explain what the dot told me in a simple way.
I'll try to list some variable that if you insert inside a mathemathical statistic will not reach the 100% -- here some (absolutely IRREAL) examples:

1- a dentist pull out a tooth from the first person who drink and share the glass to a second person that has a bleeding wound in his mouth.(abnormal and surreal situation but for 100% scenary you have to put inside the statistic!)
Giving a micro weight to this SURREAL SITUATION we'll never have a 100% result.

In a normal situation with normal variables doctors can say that there isn't a plausable risk for a test!

Thank you!
Now i'll try to relax Doctor.
Have a good night and good life too.