HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Are my results conclusive?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Are my results conclusive?

Dear Dr.Hunter
I'm a 43 yr old male. On Dec 7th 2012 I was in Mexico and had sex with 2 CSWs. Both encounters were protected (both Oral and Viginal). I'm not 100% sure whether the condom broke or not. I believe it didn't break. But after a week I started having symptoms like flank pain, feverish (around 99.1), skin burning sensation on my back during the night, slight pains in the groin/inner thighs and also diahrrea once ot twice. Also had pains while ejaculation, pain while urinating etc., It continued for about 3 weeks. I also have 3 kidney stones that hasn't passed yet. Not sure these symptoms are because of the stones acting up or ARS Symptoms. Then finally I decided to take a full panel of STD Testing.

On Jan 8th 2013, (after 31 days of exposure) I took Labcorp's Panel 083824 for HIV I/II and STD test for Chlamydia, Syphills, Gonorrhea, Herpes & HSV. All my tests came back negative.

Here are my questionss:
1. The urine I gave for testing was collected 1.5 hrs prior to giving it to the lab personnel. Is that still ok?
2. My HIV results read as follows:
HIV 1/O/2 Abs-Index Value      <1.00                <1.00
Index Value: Specimen reactivity relative to the negative cutoff.
HIV 1/O/2 Abs, Qual               Non Reactive      Non Reactive

Do I take these tests as conclusive or should I test again? If so, at what week?

I'm very much worried & my anxiety is just killing me. can't focus on work, I'm being very irritable. Please advice.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

Congratulations for using a condom.  Because you did, there is little or no risk for any STD.

Let's first discuss HIV, the main topic for this forum.  It is statistically unlikely either of your commercial partners had HIV.  Although heterosexually transmitted HIV isn't rare in Mexico, the large majority of sex workers (probably 99+%) don't have it.  And with condom protected sex, you couldn't have been infected with HIV even if they did.  Most important, your negative antibody test result is around 95% reliable at the time you were tested, about 4 weeks after the sexual exposure.  For 100% reliability, you'll need a second test at least 6-8 weeks after the event, but you can be very confident it will remain negative.

As for other STDs, the condoms protected you there as well.  You certainly could not possibly have caught gonorrhea or chlamydia, and in any case those test results are reliable any time more than a few days after exposure. The chance of syphilis and herpes also was very low, but you were tested too soon for those STDs.  Since you used condoms and presumably haven't had penile sores to suggest either of them, testing was optional.  But for definitive results you'll need additional testing at 6 weeks for syphilis, and at 3-4 months for HSV.

Frankly, I don't think further testing is necessary except for reassurance, not because of any measurable risk.  If I were in your circumstance, I would continue unprotected sex with my wife with no fear of infecting her.  If despite that level of reassurance you feel you need to be tested again, then you should do it.  The results will be negative.

I hope this has been helpful.  Best regards--  HHH, MD
Thank you so much Doc. I will definitely take another HIV test after 8 weeks and also do a Syphillis (syphilis) at the end of 8 weeks and will test for HSV after 12 weeks.

My only concern is that I'm having diarrhea for the past 2 days (after my test). Do I need to worry? Is diarhrrea is a HIV ARS symptoms? I have no other symptoms like fever, rashes etc.,
I'm sure your diarrhea has nothing to do with the sexual encounter.  By itself, it's never an ARS symptom.