HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Bad rash, 2 weeks after encounter

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Bad rash, 2 weeks after encounter

Hello Doc,

I made a HUGE mistake that I will never do again. I had an encounter with an escort on September 15, 3 weeks ago. The encounter was with a condom but when I pulled my penis out half of the condom was hanging off my penis like it was coming off. (I'm not sure if it broke) 2 weeks after the encounter I began to itch. I had a rash on my neck and chest. Today I still have a VERY bad rash on my upper legs, stomach, chest and upper arms, and back. I went to my doctor and he said that I had hives. He prescribed me 20 mg of Prednisone 3 times a day (after ever meal) I have been taking the pills for 4 days and the rash is worse. Some spots will appear and disappear in a matter of hours. I truly believe that I have and ARS rash and have contracted HIV.  I have seen post online where people say that they had itchy hives before they tested positive for HIV. I do not have any other symptoms at all. I fell 100% healthy besides the rash that I have had for a week.
Doc, Please be straight with me. What are the odds that I have HIV? I mean 2 weeks on the dot I get a rash. That seems pretty much on spot for ARS.  Some of the HIVES do not itch mostly the ones on my stomach and chest.
How many people have come to you on this forum or in person that have had this similar situation, and their test was positive or negative for HIV.
Should I go get tested now, at the 3 week mark, or wait 3-4 more weeks.
Thank you so much Doc
Welcome to the Forum. Indeed what you describe does sound like hives.  That does not mean that you have HIV.  Most HIVs are caused by some sort of allergy. The proportion caused by HIV are tiny.

The encounter you describe is very, very low risk for HIV.  here are the reasons:
1.  Your partner is unlikely to have HIV.  Most CSWs do n have HIV.
2.  If she had HIV and you had used a condom, your risk for HIV would be 1 in 1000.  You used a condom. that it was coming off as you exited is not uncommon and does not mean that your exposure was not condom protected.  it sounds VERY likely that your condom was in the right place.
3.  A rah without other symptoms is not suggestive o HIV.

As far as testing is concerned.  If your rash was the ARS, it a blood test will be positive just a day or two after the rash started to appear.  I predict your test ill be negative if you choose to get it.  Since this is otherwise too early, I would also recommend testing at 8 weeks, just to be 100% sure that you are negative.  I(I am confident now that you are gong to be negative)

Hope this comment helps. EWH
Thank you very much for your reply Doctor.

I will test this weekend, and again at the 8 weeks mark. I will post my results. I am disgusted by my actions. This experience has changed my life.
Glad to help.  We look forward to hearing your negative result.   EWH
I know that the 4 weeks test is not conclusive but I took a full std panel test and everything was Negative including HIV. I will take the HIV test again in 4 weeks. I am starting to believe that I have 'cholinergic urticaria' and anxiety. My hive come on every time that I get stressed and feel my body get warm, then they go away after I relax. I will update you in 4 weeks for my 8 week test.

Thank you Dr.Hook
Gald to hear of your result.  I am confident that your next test will be negative as well.  EWH
Hello Doctor,

I am starting to get bad pain in my legs(mostly calves) and sore feeling in my arms, but I have no fever at all. Plus the red spots (they come and go) are still there. I know that muscle pain a symptom of ARS. I am still waiting to take my 8 week test.

Thank you Dr.Hook
This is still not ARS.  EWH
Hello Dr.EWH,

I took a 6 week test and it was negative. I am waiting till my 8 week test.
The chances that you have HIV at this time are vanishingly low.  I predict your 8 week test will be negative as well.  EWH
Doctor I have had this rash for 7 full weeks. I take Zyrtec and it keeps it under control. Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield say that ars last 4-6 weeks and others say that it last 1-2 weeks. Does the ars rash last 4-6 weeks or 1-2 weeks? Also should I take an 8 week test or wait until week 12?
Last answer.  ARS lasts no more than two weeks and typically a week or less.

End of thread.  EWH
Hello Dr. Hook

My 9 week test is negative. I will not do further testing. Thank you for all your help.