HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Bleeding during/after kissing - Risk of HIV?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dear Drs,

There is some HIV transmission questions that I need some clarifications to clear my doubt and worry.

Last two weeks I went to club and kiss with some escort girls (around 10pm to 12am+). When the time I back from club (around 1am), I found that there is a blood blister on my lips and I had broken the blood blister at that time, and there is bleeding from the blood blister on my lips. Because I am a bit drunk at that time in the club, but I still pretty sure there is no bleeding during kissing time, the bleeding only happen when after kissing time.

1) So, is there any possibility and risk of HIV transmission because of the blister broken and bleeding after kissing time? (Or maybe during kissing time?) I am not sure whether those girls infected by HIV or not but this had harassed me for these past few days. I am now quite worry since there is bleeding on my lips (although not confirmed those girls infected by HIV or not).

2) Do I need to be get tested?

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible to clear my doubt on this.

Thanks and regards,
Harassed & Worried One
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be pleased to answer your question.  It is unlikely that any of the escorts you kissed had HIV- most do not. Even if they did however, HIV is transmitted in adults only through penetrative genital or ano-genital sexual contact or by infection of infected material deep into tissue.  There are no cases in which HIV has EVER be transmitted by kissing, even kissing when one person or another has a sore in their mouth, bleeding in their mouth, dental or gum disease.  Thus there was no risk for HIV from the activities you describe. there is no need for worry and no need for testing.

I hope this comment is helpful to you. EWH
Dear Dr Hook,

Just another question on this, I saw some replies in MedHelp stay that saliva got proteins and enzyme can inhibit the HIV virus, is this true? So HIV virus had low chance to survive in mouth although there is blood mix in saliva?

Thanks and regards,
Harassed & Worried One
Yes, this is true.  EWH
Dear Dr Hook,

I found that there are few (4 to 5) small little bumps at my pubes skin surface, but it is not pain nor itchy at all, is that anything related to HIV / STD?
NO, these are not related to the contact you described.. EWH