HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Broken condom with KL sex worker

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Broken condom with KL sex worker

On Apr 24 I had sex with a prostitute in Kuala Lumpur (claims to be clean and tested).  I did use a condom but after a few moments of vaginal sex I noticed the condom had broken.  I immediately withdrew and washed my gentials with soap and water.  I had a full STD screening 5 days after exposure - all negative (hep, syph, gono, etc....).  Obviously HIV was neg too since it is too early.  10 days since the exposure, I've developed a sore throat and a penile yeast infection.  What steps should I take regarding testing and what are my odds of testing HIV positive.
You had a single exposure to a commercial sex worker (CSW).  Your chances of having gotten HIV from this exposure are extraordinarily low.  Here's why:

1,  Chances are, your partner did not have HIV.  Most CSWs do not.
2.  Your chance of getting HIV, if she was infected is less than one in 1000 per exposure.
3.  After 6 weeks over 95% of tests that are going to become positive will have.

When you put all of these facts together, your chances of being infected from the exposure you describe is less than one 100th of 1%.  If you get tested in the future, negative tests any time after 6 weeks will make it progressively less likely that you are infected.  Things will work out fine for you.  I hope this is helpful.  EWH
DR. I believe he has stated he had the test done 5 days after the exposure. Isn't that not sufficient time for the test to be even 95% accurate?
Thanks Dr.  Should I be overly concerned about the yeast infection and cold symptoms?  I have a sore throat, no fever, glands do not appear to be overly swollen or tender.  I do have a wet cough and nasal congestion.  The yeast infection is still present.
No.  Symptoms are irrelevant.  As for your yeast infection, if it has not responded, it may be something else or it may need additional treatment.  I would suggest you work through this with your health care provider.   EWH